SCHOOL LUNCHBOX DANGERS:...as USDA examines 'bag lunch'
- Home-made packed lunches slip through nutrition net. // Nursing Standard;2/24/2010, Vol. 24 Issue 25, p16
The article presents results from a study concerning the nutritional content of home-made packed lunches. Research found that 75 percent of packed lunches contained a packet of crisps, a chocolate bar, or both. 14 per cent of home-made lunches met food based standards for school meals in...
- Preschooler's Homemade Lunch Replaced with Cafeteria "Nuggets". // Food Management Exclusive Insight;2/15/2012, p5
The article deals with a preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School in North Carolina whose packed lunch was replaced with chicken nuggets on January 30, 2012.
- Do healthy school meals affect illness, allergies and school attendance in 8- to 11-year-old children? A cluster-randomised controlled study. Laursen, R P; Lauritzen, L; Ritz, C; Dyssegaard, C B; Astrup, A; Michaelsen, K F; Damsgaard, C T // European Journal of Clinical Nutrition;May2015, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p626
Background/Objectives:A nutritionally adequate diet in childhood is important for health and resistance of allergies and infections. This study explored the effects of school meals rich in fish, vegetables and fibre on school attendance, asthma, allergies and illness in 797 Danish 8- to...
- How To Give Your Child's Lunchbox A Healthy Makeover. // Jet;8/23/2004, Vol. 106 Issue 8, p60
Presents advice to parents on packing children healthy lunches. Problem of child obesity and poor nutrition in the United States; Importance of planning ahead to making healthy choices for a child's lunch; Tips on making nutritious sandwiches; Significance of substituting chips and cookies with...
- Back to School. Jackson, Kate // Today's Diet & Nutrition;Sep2010, p4
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics that include tips for making lunch, safe snack for students, and recipes for vegetarian students.
- Five ideas for packing a healthy school lunch. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;9/6/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 36, p14
The article presents the Alliance for a Healthier Generation's suggestions on how to pack a healthy school lunch for kids.
- PACK LOVE AND FOOD. Springen, Karen // Newsweek;9/13/2004, Vol. 144 Issue 11, p64
Presents tips on packing a healthy lunch for children. Importance of making fruits and veggies enticing; Use of an ice pack to keep foods cool; Buying fresher, less processed foods.
- How safe are school meals, parents wonder. Portner, Jessica // Education Week;09/24/97, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p1
Reports on the concerns of parents and educators over the safety of government-issued food items for schoolchildren in the United States. Increasing frequency of food contamination in the country; Increased chances of contamination due to lengthy transportation of commodities; Inability of the...
- What's in Your Kid's Lunchbox? Iyer, Praba // India Currents;Sep2010, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p42
The article looks at the common foods that children in India have for their lunch in school which somehow show the change in the way the meal is served. This includes the preference of children of foods that originated from different parts of the world, including the burritos, pastas and...