NSLP UNDER FIRE: School foodservice draws criticism from doctors
- School Lunches Improve. // Good Medicine;Winter2007, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p14
The article reports on the findings of the fifth School Lunch Report Card conducted by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine which grades the major school districts in the U.S. on the healthfulness of the food they serve and on how well they are promoting the benefits of healthy...
- How to Flunk Lunch. Underwood, Anne // Newsweek;9/16/2002, Vol. 140 Issue 12, p10
Focuses on the School Lunch Report Card issued by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in the United States. Failure of three of the ten elementary school districts analyzed, none of which had fast-food concessions; Basis of the grades on the availability of fruits, vegetables,...
- 2006 Golden Carrot Awards. // Good Medicine;Winter2007, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p12
The article reports that Irmgard James, food service director of Oak Grove School in Ojai, California took the top prize in the Golden Carrot Awards of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. Her school's creative all-vegetarian menu contributed to her winning the top award. She was...
- Canteen concern. // Australia's Parents;Apr/May97, Issue 98, p38
Reports on the promotion of healthy food choices for school children in Australia. Obstacles in the efforts to promote healthy foods; Accreditation for a healthy canteen; Available options in promoting health foods.
- Snack Attack. Lawn, John // Food Management;Apr2001, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p16
Focuses on a USDA report criticizing in-school snack and soft drink sales. Competition between nutritional and school foodservice authorities and snack food and soft drink vendors; Other issues associated with in-school availability of 'competitive foods'; Call for additional regulation.
- Burnet CISD free, reduced-price meal policy details given. // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);8/22/2012, Vol. 139 Issue 34, p8A
The article presents information on the policy of the Consolidated Independent School District of Burnet, Texas towards the reduction in the prices if meals.
- Study Recommends Overhaul of Oakland's School Food Program. // Food Management Exclusive Insight;2/14/2012, p5
The article presents a study, Rethinking School Lunch in Oakland, California conducted by Oakland's school district which recommended a series of significant changes and upgrades on Oakland's school food program.
- Food for thought. // Teacher Magazine;May/Jun99, Vol. 10 Issue 8, p11
Reports that school districts in Maryland and Virginia are conducting taste-test panels for students regarding lunches served in school cafeterias. Monitoring of items needed to create balanced lunches that students will eat; Benefits of the program.
- Palm Beach City Schools: Summer program provides free lunch to under-18 kids. // FoodService Director;07/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p19
Announces that Palm Beach County Schools in Florida plan to offer a free lunch program to children 18 years old or under. Source of the program's funds; Aim of the program; Why the program will not be offered at every school.