The promise of stem cells
- Old cells, new tricks. Martindale, Diane // New Scientist;08/19/2000, Vol. 167 Issue 2252, p16
Reports on the idea to bypass embryonic stem cells in stem cell research. Use of mature human stem cells as a substitute for embryonic stem cells; Versatility of stem cells; Ability of stem cells to create many kinds of tissue; Idea that brain stem cells could be as versatile as human embryo...
- Amniotic Stem Cells: Potential in Regenerative Medicine. Bani-Yaghoub, Mahmud; Wilson, Patricia; Hengstschläger, Markus; Nikaido, Toshio; Duanqing Pei // Stem Cells International;2012, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various papers within the issue on topics including amniotic stem cells and their importance in regenerative therapy to repair damage tissue or organ.
- The Complexities of Engineering Human Stem Cell-Derived Therapeutics. Hay, David C.; Ross, James A.; Gallagher, Ronnie; Bagnaninchi, Pierre // Journal of Biomedicine & Biotechnology;2010, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics related to human stem-cell derived therapeutics including one on the role of stem cells in the process of regeneration, carcinogenesis, and development by Kung et al., one on the expansion of...
- Corrections. // Nature Medicine;Jul2012, Vol. 18 Issue 7, p995
Corrections to two articles including "The vetting process" that was published in the June 2012 issue and ""Korea okays stem cell therapies despite limited peer-review data" that was published in the March 2012 issue are presented.
- The stem cell promise: The future of stemocytology. Kothari, Manu; Goel, Atul // Journal of Craniovertebral Junction & Spine;Jul/Dec2013, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p47
The authors comment on the future of stem cell in the field of modern medicine (MM). According to the authors, stem cell is the current fad in contemporary medicine. Information on the clinical use of hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) is also provided. The authors also discussed the hype surrounding...
- Medical Provision in the Twenty-First Century. Busia, Kofi // Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine;Apr2002, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p193
Discusses the impact of scientific breakthroughs in nuclear transfer and genetics on alternative medical practices in Great Britain. Reasons why alternative medicine practitioners should have a knowledge of medical breakthroughs; Focus of the debate surrounding stem cell therapy; Overview of...
- Stem cell therapy in orthopaedics. Correa, Diego; Goldberg, Victor M. // AAOS Now;Jul2011, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p41
The article discusses the use of stem cell therapy in orthopaedics in the U.S. It mentions that the emerging field of regenerative medicine aims to overcome the tissue scarring process by providing the required elements such as cells and molecules to promote real tissue regeneration. It states...
- GROWING A NEW YOU. BARTH, AMY // Discover;Mar2012, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p11
The article discusses research in regenerative medicine including the growth of bladders from baboon bone marrow stem cells, a synthetic windpipe grown using a patient's stem cells, and the regeneration of tissue using proteins from a pig's bladder.
- CORRESPONDENCE. Inman, W.H.W.; Jerram, Timothy; Breckenridge, A.; Routledge, Philip; Bennett, Peter; Massey, J.A.; Feneley, R.C.L.; Abrams, P.H.; Kennedy, C.L.; Bone, J.M.; Coppack, S.W.; Higgens, C.S.; McPherson, Ann; Husain, O.A.N.; Macgregor, J. Elizabeth; Osborne, John; Edmonds, Keith; Loeffler, Frank // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);11/24/1984, Vol. 289 Issue 6456, p1450
Comments on several issues related to medicine. Failure of the cervical cytology screening program; Plasma exchange in progressive crescentic glomerulonephritis; Policy in marketing for neuroleptic drugs.