Socio-economic study confirms value of commercial fishing
- Historical Perspectives and Recent Trends in the Coastal Mozambican Fishery. Blythe, Jessica L.; Murray, Grant; Flaherty, Mark S. // Ecology & Society;Dec2013, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p1
Historical data describing changing social-ecological interactions in marine systems can help guide small-scale fisheries management efforts. Fisheries landings data are often the primary source for historical reconstructions of fisheries; however, we argue that reliance on data of a single type...
- Positive Catch & Economic Benefits of Periodic Octopus Fishery Closures: Do Effective, Narrowly Targeted Actions â€˜Catalyzeâ€™ Broader Management? Oliver, Thomas A.; Oleson, Kirsten L. L.; Ratsimbazafy, Hajanaina; Raberinary, Daniel; Benbow, Sophie; Harris, Alasdair // PLoS ONE;Jun2015, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p1
Overview: Eight years of octopus fishery records from southwest Madagascar reveal significant positive impacts from 36 periodic closures on: (a) fishery catches and (b) village fishery income, such that (c) economic benefits from increased landings outweigh costs of foregone catch. Closures...
- ExtracciÃ³n de recursos naturales en contextos de abundancia y escasez: Un anÃ¡lisis experimental sobre infracciones a cuotas en Ã¡reas de manejo y explotaciÃ³n de recursos bentÃ³nicos en el centro-sur de Chile. SANTIS, OSCAR; CHÁVEZ, CARLOS // Estudios de Economia;jun2014, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p89
We study through framed field economic experiment the effects of exogenous changes in abundance levels of a renewable natural resource on compliance individual decisions of users operating under a common property regime and a system of Territorial use rights in fisheries (TURF) considering...
- Integration and Productivity: Satellite-Tracked Evidence. Natividad, Gabriel // Management Science;Jul2014, Vol. 60 Issue 7, p1698
This paper introduces satellite-tracked real-time data from a large fishing firm managing its vertically, horizontally, and geographically linked ships to study the causal impact of integration on total factor productivity (TFP) after the firm acquired its vertically unintegrated contractual...
- Hunting, fishing $14.4 billion Texas industry. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);4/2/2008, Vol. 22 Issue 14, p5
The article reports on the impact of hunters, anglers and wildlife watchers in the fishing industry in Whitney, Texas.
- PA Fights for Fishing Access. Randolph, John // Fly Fisherman;Dec2008, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p2
The article offers information on the economic impact of the creation of the steelhead sport fishery in Erie County, Pennsylvania.
- Partnership for fisheries research. Griswold, Whit // Salt Water Sportsman;Jul95, Vol. 56 Issue 7, p28
Reports on the joint fish genetic research among South Carolina researchers for improving the stock structure of the ocean's fisheries. Joining of forces with the University of Carolina; Provision of information for fisheries managers; Tackling of the swordfish population; Importance of...
- Testing for input substitution in a regulated fishery. DuPont, Diane P. // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Feb91, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p155
Examines the effectiveness of input restrictions to prevent rent dissipation in fisheries. Effect of input restrictions in a fishery; Substitution possibilities between unrestricted and restricted inputs; Fishery background, characteristics and data; Restricted profit function specifications...
- Untitled. // World Watch;Sep/Oct93, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p9
Reports on figures spent by commercial fishers to catch marine fish worldwide. Government subsidies; Over-exploitation of the oceans.