Cadaver shows stir controversy
- The Losing Game. // Time;4/13/1962, Vol. 79 Issue 15, p34
The article offers information on the actions done by the European terrorists of the Algerian Secret Army Organization (SAO) regarding rejection in their homeland in France. It states that the European members of the terrorist group had long boasted that except for a few rebels, their Muslim...
- Why are there no great black critics? Cole, T.J. // Community Review;1996, Vol. 14, p82
Reviews literature to cite reasons why there are no great Afro-American art critics. Blending of western classical tradition and African American folk traditions; Criticism on various art movements.
- Critics and Artists. Pearlstein, Philip // Art Journal;Dec77, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p151
Discusses threats facing the practice of art criticism. How an artist becomes significant when his work is discussed in print; Ways in which reviewers minimize the fact that what they write has a bearing on the life of the artist; Artists' provision of the raw material for the whole profession...
- Art by any other name. Skidelsky, Edward // Prospect;Oct2010, Issue 175, p80
The article focuses on the use of terms such as important, seminal, and influential by art critics as expressions of praise which is bizarre since there is nothing ipso facto praiseworthy about influence or importance.
- Art and Respectability. Young, Stark // New Republic;10/6/17, Vol. 12 Issue 153, p264
Focuses on the significance of respectability in art. Claim of the author that art has suffered from being talked about largely by professors and lecturers who are outside of it and are not really talking about it at all; Virtues that artists should have; Thoughts and motives that an artist...
- The art of critique. Malmgren, Rick // Ceramics Monthly;Sep96, Vol. 44 Issue 7, p116
Discusses a strategy for providing a critique of students' ceramic art work. Making students the judges; Personal criteria; Teaching students the objective criteria; Element of personal projection by the artist; Change in feelings of being a teacher; Essence of art education.
- A map of modern art. Lindbohm, M. // Commentary;Apr92, Vol. 93 Issue 4, p39
Discusses the key to understanding contemporary art. The three aesthetic impulses--the formalist, the iconoclastic and the sacerdotal; Description of each with representative artists; Effects of pornography and the obscenely violent; Performance art; Effects of the AIDS epidemic; The...
- Calamities of art. Kimball, Roger // New Criterion;Nov95, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p21
Comments that virtually anything can be put forward and accepted as a work of art. Professed aim of `Dada' which backfired; Degeneration of art; Art world's addiction to extremity.
- Arts council seeks panelists. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;6/3/2002, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p6
Announces the search for panelists by the Arts Council of Rockland in New York.