Legionellosis: Why should I test and report?
- Combination antibiotic therapy with macrolides improves survival in intubated patients with community-acquired pneumonia. Martin-Loeches, I.; Lisboa, T.; Rodriguez, A.; Putensen, C.; Annane, D.; Garnacho-Montero, J.; Restrepo, M. I.; Rello, J. // Intensive Care Medicine;Apr2010, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p612
To assess the effect on survival of macrolides or fluoroquinolones in intubated patients admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) with severe community-acquired pneumonia (severe CAP). Prospective, observational cohort, multicenter study conducted in 27 ICUs of 9 European countries. Two hundred...
- Eficacia del levofloxacino en el tratamiento de neumonÃa adquirida en la comunidad. López-Véjar, César Emmanuel; Castellanos-De la Cruz, Lizbeth; Meraz-Ortega, Raúl; Román-Flores, Ariana; Geuguer-Chávez, Lizbeth; Pedro-González, Alejandra; Lozano-Nuevo, José Juan; Rubio-Guerra, Alberto // Medicina Interna de Mexico;nov/dic2013, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p587
Background: Almost all guidelines and recommendations for the treatment of pneumonia acquired in the community requiring hospitalization indicate as first line of treatment cephalosporins of third-generation and a macrolide, and emphasize that local antimicrobial resistance must be considered...
- The roles of the newer macrolide antibiotics in treating community-acquired pneumonia. Segreti, John // Modern Medicine;Oct94, Vol. 62 Issue 10, p30
Evaluates the efficacy of macrolide antibiotics clarithromycin and azithromycin in treating community-acquired pneumonia. Organisms that cause community-acquired pneumonia; Symptoms of community-acquired pneumonia; Pharmacokinetic differences; Efficacy comparisons.
- Experience briefs. Stein, Gary E.; Havlichek, Daniel // Formulary;Dec95, Vol. 30 Issue 12, p817
Describes the development of a treatment protocol for hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia. Five-day course of azithromycin plus a parenteral beta-lactam antibiotic; Effect on hospital stay; Effect on duration of outpatient antibiotic use.
- Macrocycle Molecules for the Management of Systemic Infections: the Clarithromycin Paradigm. Giamarellos-Bourboulis, Evangelos J. // Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry;Oct2010, Vol. 10 Issue 14, p1470
Macrolides currently play a major role in the management of severe infections. Evidence derived from several retrospective studies have shown a significant reduction of mortality from community-acquired pneumonia upon treatment with a macrolide. Apart from other explanations, their effect is...
- Community-acquired pneumonia and use of macrolide antibiotics. MILLER, KARL // American Family Physician;10/15/1998, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p1457
Presents the abstract of the article `Implications for macrolide treatment in community-acquired pneumonia,' by L.M. Mundy, et al from the `Chest' journal dated May 1998.
- Schedule H1: Hope or hype? Hazra, Avijit // Indian Journal of Pharmacology;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p361
The author reflects on the Schedule H1 notification of the Indian government which come into effect on March 1, 2014. He mentions that the fluoroquinolones, such as ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin, have not been restricted, which can become a lacuna due to cross-resistance among the...
- Effects of exercise in a islet-transplanted half-marathon runner: outcome on diabetes management, training and metabolic profile. Delmonte, V.; Codella, R.; Piemonti, L.; Torre, A.; Benedini, S.; Maffi, P.; Ricordi, C.; Luzi, L. // Sport Sciences for Health;Apr2014, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p49
The article presents a study that covered 7 years after islet transplantation in a patient. A 44-year-old Caucasian man had a history of sedentary lifestyle with T1D for 36 years, taking from 0.65 to 0.8 U insulin. He was enrolled in the clinical protocols in which rapamycin was...
- Empirical Therapy of Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Mandell, Lionel A.; Waterer, Grant W. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;7/28/2015, Vol. 314 Issue 4, p396
The article discusses a study by Nicolas Garin and colleagues, reported in "Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Internal Medicine," of treatment options for community-acquired pneumonia (CAP). It outlines the study, a randomized trial which compared treatment with the antibiotic...