Healthy People 2010: Overweight and Obesity
- Independent Nurse: Journal Watch - Maternal attitudes to family eating affects teen weight gain. // GP: General Practitioner;9/9/2005, p101
The article reports that Australian researchers analysed 3,795 children at age 14, a quarter of whom were overweight. They found mothers who did not rate the importance of the family eating together were 27 per cent more likely to have overweight children.
- METHODOLOGY TO MEASURE LOCAL PREVALENCE OF OVERWEIGHT CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS IN ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, MARYLAND, 2006. Shah, Mona B.; Jinlene Chan; Tai, Eric; Farrell, Katherine P. // Public Health Reports;Sep/Oct2007, Vol. 122 Issue 5, p679
The article provides information on the methodology used to measure the local prevalence of overweight children in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The results of the survey of children and adolescents found that 15.6% were considered to be overweight. It states that the National Health and...
- Parents' awareness of overweight in themselves and their children: cross sectional study within a cohort (EarlyBird 21). Jeffery, A. N.; Voss, L. D.; Metcalf, B. S.; Alba, S.; Wilkin, T. J. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);1/1/2005, Vol. 330 Issue 7481, p23
Presents a study which aims to explore parents' awareness of overweight and obesity in themselves and their children, and their degree of concern about weight. Extent of the obesity problem in Great Britain, where over half of British adults are overweight; Details of the study, including...
- The spread of the childhood obesity epidemic. Andersen, Ross E.; Andersen, R E // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;11/28/2000, Vol. 163 Issue 11, p1461
Comments on the increase of childhood obesity in Canada. How children are becoming progressively more overweight; How obese children become obese adults and face diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, orthopedic problems and other chronic diseases; Increase of adiposity in children. How the...
- Weighty Matters. // NEA Today;Sep2004, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p10
Reports on the percentage of overweight children and teenagers in the U.S. according to the National Health Center for Health Statistics.
- Untitled. // Diabetes Health;Jan2006, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p45
Discusses the association of diabetes with obesity in the U.S. Number of obese children over 6 years of age in the country; Changes undergone by the American diet since the 1990s; Link between consumption of empty calories and rising rates of childhood obesity.
- RESHAPING THE FUTURE FOR overweight kids. Broadwater, Holly Renee // RN;Nov2002, Vol. 65 Issue 11, p36
The article reports on the increase of the number of overweight children according to the 1999 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey in the U.S. One-third of diabetic children between the ages of ten and 19 are diagnosed with the Type 2 disease. Unhealthy eating habits, sedentary...
- A FAT NATION. Spake, Amanda; Brophy Marcus, Mary // U.S. News & World Report;8/19/2002, Vol. 133 Issue 7, p40
Reports on obesity in the U.S. Statistics on overweight people; Impact of weight gain on heart disease; Overweight children; The problem of overprocessed food; Consumption of sugar and other types of calories; Problems with fast food; The challenges of dealing with obesity. INSETS: What is...
- Temporal trends in overweight and obesity in Canada, 1981-1996. Tremblay, M.S.; Katzmarzyk, P.T.; Willms, J.D. // International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders;Apr2002, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p538
Assesses changes in the prevalence of overweight and obesity among Canadian children and adults between 1981 and 1996. Age range; Comparison of the increase in the prevalence of overweight men and women; Comparison of percent increase of overweight prevalence among boys and girls.