- YAÅžAR Ã‡AÄžBAYIR, ORHON YAZITLARINDAN GÃœNÃœMÃœZE TÃœRKÄ°YE TÃœRKÃ‡ESÄ°NÄ°N SÃ–ZVARLIÄžI Ã–TÃœKEN TÃœRKÃ‡E SÃ–ZLÃœK, Ö... // Electronic Turkish Studies;2010, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p1522
No abstract available.
- Defining a Textbook: Gloss versus Gloss in a Medieval Schoolbook. Peterson, Janine Larmon // Essays in Medieval Studies;Feb2004, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p18
This article discusses how medieval schools defined and utilized textbooks by using glosses. The manuscript discussed in this article are, New Haven, Yale University, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library MS 332, a late twelfth-century codex of the Roman poet Lucan' s "De Bello Civili,"...
- 10 Ways to Encourage Better Spelling. Snowball, Diane // Teaching Pre K-8;May2000, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p64
Suggests ways to encourage better spelling. Importance of ensuring that there are many opportunities for students to publish their writing; Way to encourage students to care more about their spelling; How to develop an interest in words.
- IT ALL DEPENDS ON 'U.' Jenkins, Evan // Columbia Journalism Review;Mar/Apr2001, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p12
Focuses on the use of the letter U in oral and written communication. Difference between the meaning of stanch and staunch; Uses of the words gantlet and gauntlet.
- Mollycoddling in the Teaching of Written Composition. Gilbert, Bonnie // Education;May1923, Vol. 43 Issue 9, p570
The article describes the method of teaching English written composition to children. Teachers must teach children form, spelling, capitalization, punctuation and paragraphing. They must show the need of a paragraph indentation. They need to have the children expend some of the energy in writing...
- Phonological Results of an Ancient Border Shift: Vocalic Mergers in Northeastern Slovenia. Lundberg, Grant H. // Journal of Slavic Linguistics;2005, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p119
The Slovene dialect area of Haloze, located to the southeast of Ptuj along the present Slovene-Croatian national border, is essentially part of the Pannonian Slovene dialect base, yet fieldwork documents an unexpected phonological development in Haloze that connects it to an ancient Kajkavian...
- Symposium on ï¿½A multi-methodological approach to language evolutionï¿½. Cangelosi, Angelo // Mind & Society;Jun2008, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p35
This symposium includes a selection of articles on the origins and evolution of language. These are extended version of selected papers presented at ï¿½EVOLANG6: The Sixth International Conference on the Evolution of Languageï¿½ that was held in Rome in April 2006. This selection of papers...
- LANGUAGE CORNER RIDING THE MINIBUS. Perlman, Merrill // Columbia Journalism Review;Jan/Feb2010, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p12
The article discusses the derivation and spelling of the word minuscule, often misspelled as miniscule. It notes that the misspelling is so common that it appeared in "Webster's New World College Dictionary" 1982 second edition as an erroneous spelling, but by the fourth edition was considered a...
- THE INTERNATIONAL PHONETIC ALPHABET. // Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary;2004, p48
A list of the letter symbols used in the International Phonetic Alphabet is presented.