A Healthy Transformation
- Spotlight on Nicole Shaw, RD, LDN: Cultivating Nutrition. // School Business Affairs;May2014, Vol. 80 Issue 5, p40
The article profiles Nicole Shaw, a food service supervisor in Great Valley School District (GVSD) in Malvern, Pennsylvania. She helped the launching of the schools farm-to-school which serves healthy meals to their students. According to Shaw, starting the food service garden and witnessing its...
- MORE INFO FOR PARENTS: Ohio school dist. to label menus. // FoodService Director;3/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p6
Reports on the plan of the food and nutrition department at Mason City School District in Warren County, Ohio to label the monthly menus sent home to parents of first to sixth graders with nutritional information. Example of the menu nutrient label program; Functions of the nutritional analysis...
- Consumer Group Faults Conditions In School Cafeterias. Bradley, Ann // Education Week;2/7/2007, Vol. 26 Issue 22, p8
The article discusses a report conducted by the Center for Science in the Public Interest which states that conditions in the nation's school cafeterias could trigger outbreaks of food poisoning at any time. Most of the meals served in school cafeterias each day are safe, but some school...
- Pizza Hut opens new Commissary Kitchen. // FoodService Director;09/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p16
Focuses on the Commissary Kitchen concept debuted by Pizza Hut Express to school operators at the 1998 American School Food Service Association national conference in Anaheim, California. Installation of the concept in Crown Point School District in Indiana in the fall of 1998; Concept features.
- Linda Eichenberger: Treating students as customers. Ramsey, Lindsey // FoodService Director;12/15/2014, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p36
The article features Linda Eichenberger, food service supervisor at the Oak Hills Local School District in Cincinnati, Ohio. It describes Eichenberger's passion and commitment to her work in which successfully offered healthy and on-demand menu options in the school. It also discusses...
- A New Look at Fast-Food Lunch. Safransky, Robert J.; Dunham, Arthur // School Business Affairs;
The article looks at the process involve in a school food service renovation, focusing on the work of the food service director. It is inferred that the food service director needs to remodel the food service department first, then establish a food sanitation process, and order special garments...
- SERVING SUGGESTION. Solomon, Karen // Onearth;Summer2009, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p20
The article focuses on the effort of Ann Cooper to change the menus of the school cafeterias in the U.S. It states that when Cooper became the director of nutrition services at the Berkeley Unified School District in California, she altered chicken nuggets to real chicken, fresh produce instead...
- IN LOUISIANA DIST.: Summer poses labor shortage. // FoodService Director;07/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p1
Reports on how the East Baton Rouge School District in Louisiana has braced for a sudden increase in summer feeding volume. Reason for the increase in the number of students attending summer school in 2000; District's problem with the shortage of food service workers.
- GLENDALE SCHOOLS KEEP MEALS LIVELY. // FoodService Director;10/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p6
Reports on the Hard Hat program launched by the food service operator at Glendale Unified School District in California during the renovation of kitchens in several of its elementary schools, as of October 2003. Reason behind the program; Food items to be provided by the program.