The Equality Act and disabled employees
- IN-ABLED. Cuvelier, Monique I. // Psychology Today;Mar/Apr2001, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p11
Reveals the prevalence of discrimination against disabled workers. Percentage of psychologically disabled workers who have experienced social and economic discrimination since 1990; Why employers refuse to make accommodations for individuals with general medical conditions.
- What it means to you. // Legal Alert for Supervisors;08/09/2013, Vol. 9 Issue 198, p2
The article explores the importance for companies to consider all reasonable working alternatives for disabled workers before determining that they cannot accommodate their requests, which could lead to lawsuits.
- Equal Opportunities. // People Management;3/25/1999, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p12
Presents news briefs on employment in Great Britain as of March 1999. Employment discrimination of ex-offenders; Supermarket jobs for disabled people; Support in the initial stages of employment for disabled students.
- Adjust-in-time solutions. // People Management;6/14/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 12, p20
Answers several queries about the Disability Discrimination Act of Great Britain. Extent of an employers duty to disabled workers; Factors that employers should take into account when considering adjustment; Right of a handicapped employee who was dismissed for unacceptable attendance.
- LAW CASE REVIEW. Keenan, Denis // Accountancy;Nov97, Vol. 120 Issue 1251, p87
Cites the ruling made by a British industrial tribunal that an employer did not treat a disabled person less favorably when it expressed concern about the duration of his absence through sickness in the 'O'Dea v Bonart Ltd.' case. Complaint made by the employer to the industrial tribunal on the...
- Carers get harmonised protection. // People Management;10/28/2010, p30
The article discusses on the ways the Equality Act 2010 can help individuals who were discriminated because they are caring for a disabled loved one.
- It' a FAQ! // PN;Feb2005, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p73
Presents a question and answer advisory in handling discrimination in the workplace in the U.S.
- Psychiatric Disabilities & the ADA: An Analysis of Conventional Defenses & EEOC Guidelines. Starnes, Sarah // Review of Litigation;Winter99, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p181
Examines what a mentally disabled worker must prove to pursue an Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) claim and the major theories used by employers to terminate the employment of the mentally ill in the U.S. Requirements for employees pursuing a discrimination case under the ADA; Employee...
- LITTLE SIGN OF PROGRESS. Turner, Julie // Community Care;7/4/2002, Issue 1429, p22
Presents an article on being a speech impaired. Experiences in job hunting; Reluctance of organizations to employ disabled people; Comments on discrimination in employment.