- Color under tropical waters. // International Wildlife;Jul/Aug84, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p29
Within the silent world of the tropical seas, color sometimes goes hand in hand with survival. Biologists do theorize that colors serve a few basic functions: warning, camouflage, species, and sex recognition, and mating or emotional signals. However, in the majority of cases, the reason...
- Capturing exotic fish. // Americas;Jan/Feb84, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p40
Capturing exotic fish for pet shop retailing. Over $10 million in marine animals are imported into the U.S. each year. These are harvested primarily from Latin American waters. Includes collecting techniques; brilliant color photos.
- Dynamics of stripe formation. Meinhardt, Hans // Nature;8/31/1995, Vol. 376 Issue 6543, p722
Discusses the investigation made by Shigeru Kondo and Rihito Asai on the stripe formation of tropical fish contained in the August 31, issue of Nature. Intercalation of stripes during growth of the tropical fish; Regulatory features of stripe formation.
- How to spot a healthy fish. Moore, L.J. // U.S. News & World Report;1/23/89, Vol. 106 Issue 3, p67
Gives tips on how to spot healthy tropical fish to purchase. Importance of how the fish are caught and where they come from; Signs of an unhealthy fish.
- Tropical Long Island. Turner, John L. // New York State Conservationist;Aug98, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p2
Provides information on fishes coming from tropical locales of the Gulf Stream in Long Island, New York. Warm-core rings as a step in bringing tropical fish to the island's shore; Juvenile fishes' going through a stage called flexion; Late summer as the best time to observe tropical fish.
- Go Fish! Snyder, Kari; Keith, Patricia // Boating;Jul2002, Vol. 75 Issue 7, p24
Deals with trading cards from Finz which feature freshwater and tropical fishes.
- Diel variation in feeding and vertical distribution of ten co-occuring fish species: consequences for resource partitioning. Piet, Gerbrand J.; Guruge, Wimal A.H.P. // Environmental Biology of Fishes;Nov1997, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p293
Determines diel variations in feeding behavior and vertical distribution for ten species of a tropical fish community in a shallow of Sri Lankan reservoir. Information related to fish communities examined; Correlation between feeding behavior and vertical distribution; Impact of resource...
- Tropical fish still strong. // Gifts & Decorative Accessories;Jul97, Vol. 98 Issue 7, p154
Focuses on tropical fish designed products. Illustrations of products; Description of products; Where they can be obtained.
- Pet Fish. Kent, David A. // Mekeel's & Stamps Magazine;5/31/2002, Vol. 190 Issue 22, p25
Reports the release of a set of postage stamps picturing tropical fish in Kiribati. List of fish; Value of the picture ocean fish; Details of the stamps.