Defect policy will pay off
- Axial crushing force of externally fibre-reinforced metal tubes. Wang, X; Lu, G // Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers -- Part C;Sep2002, Vol. 216 Issue 9, p863
Based on the classical Alexander solution for the axial collapse of bare metal tubes, a theoretical model is presented to predict the mean crushing force of arbitrarily fibre-reinforced metal tubes with a ring collapse mode. The derived mean crushing force and length of the local folding wave...
- LIFE GOES ON. Nyquist, Ryan // BMX Plus;Jan2002, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p18
Focuses on the impact of the September 11 terrorist attack in New York, New York to the life of the author. Accounts the author's feelings on the event; Information on the trip of the author to California; Donations given to the disaster victims in New York.
- impacted. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1165
A definition of the medical term "impacted," which refers to firm pressing to become immovable and may be applied to a fracture is presented.
- Nonlinear features in the dynamics of an impact-friction oscillator. Virgin, Lawrence N.; Begley, Christopher J. // AIP Conference Proceedings;2000, Vol. 502 Issue 1, p469
This paper describes a combined experimental-numerical study into some interesting local and global dynamic behavior in the response of a double-sided, harmonically-forced, impact oscillator including the influence of Coulomb damping. The system under study is modeled as piecewise linear in both...
- Fixing the record on Descartes' rules for impact. Smith, George E. // Physics Today;Dec2006, Vol. 59 Issue 12, p16
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "The Vis Viva Dispute: A Controversy at the Dawn of Dynamics," in the October 2006 issue.
- Around and around we go. Melosh, H.J. // Nature;8/3/1995, Vol. 376 Issue 6539, p386
Discusses the effect of the impact of an asteroid or comet on the earth. Estimation of size on Chicxulub crater in Yucatan, Mexico; Disagreement over size of an impact crater; Changes in form of lunar craters as sizes increase; Purposes of comparison of crater size to impact energy; Question on...
- Size and structure of the Chicxulub crater revealed by horizontal gravity gradients and cenotes. Hildebrand, A.R.; Pilkington, M. // Nature;8/3/1995, Vol. 376 Issue 6539, p415
Examines the size and structure of the Chicxulub crater as revealed by horizontal gravity gradients and cenotes. Occurrence of impact on the earth at the end of the Cretaceous period that buried Chicxulub structure in Yucatan, Mexico; Estimates of diameter of Chicxulub crater; Distribution of...
- The Private Mission To Save Planet Earth (From Asteroids). // Moderate Voice;10/25/2013, p9
The article talks about the Earth's risk for asteroid impacts and how planetary scientists keep discovering evidence of asteroid impacts on other planets and their moons.
- A theoretical model for the contact of elastoplastic bodies. Li, L-Y; Wu, C-Y; Thornton, C // Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers -- Part C;Apr2002, Vol. 216 Issue 4, p421
The paper presents a theoretical model for the normal contact of a rigid sphere with an elastic-perfectly plastic half-space or an elastic-perfectly plastic sphere with a rigid wall. Formulae describing the force-displacement relationship for static contact problems and the coefficient of...