Immigration fuels economy
- INTRODUCTION. Shulman, Steven // Review of Black Political Economy;Summer/Fall2003, Vol. 31 Issue 1/2, p9
Introduces several articles concerning immigration policies in the U.S.
- Bienvenidos! // Junior Scholastic;9/6/2002, Vol. 105 Issue 1, p5
Focuses on the annual arrival of immigrants in the United States. Comparison of immigrants in 2000 with that in the year prior to it; Countries accounting for the maximum number of immigrants in the United States.
- The roots of Dover's immigrant tragedy. Huang, Wen; Ho, Pin // Christian Science Monitor;6/23/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 149, p11
Focuses on the influx of illegal immigrants from China in the United States.
- Immigration: R.I.P.? Curtis, Gregory // Population & Environment;Jul93, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p495
Argues for restricting immigration in the United States. Immigration Reform Act of 1986's inefficiency in reducing illegal immigration; Political alliances impeding immigration reform; Factors working against the persistence of large-scale immigration; Viewing the false notion of immigration as...
- Five stories. Ong, Han; Rachlin, Nahid; Cruz, Orlando; Nigam, Sanjay; Sillah, Memuna M. // Natural History;Mar98, Vol. 107 Issue 2, p50
Presents five stories of immigrants in the United States. Views of an immigrant from Manila, Philippines on America; Experiences of an Iranian student at Lindenwood College, in St. Charles Missouri; Experiences of an illegal immigrant from Ecuador in New York City; Differences in Western and...
- Island of Hope, Island of Tears. Heinrichs, Ann // Statue of Liberty (0-7565-0100-8);2001, p12
Ellis Island, New York State opened as the U.S. immigration center in 1892. Ellis Island was the Island of Hope for many immigrants. They would be free to follow their dreams once they left it. Immigrants climbed a long stairway inside the main building. They often stood in line for hours. Then...
- Midwest Coalition to Reduce Immigration. D'Agostino, Joseph A. // Human Events;1/21/2002, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p16
Discusses the immigration policy proposal of the Midwest Coalition to Reduce Immigration in the United States (U.S). Reasons for reducing immigrants; Analysis of the U.S. immigrant policy; Impact of the reduction of immigrants on the rate of poverty in U.S.
- World's Migrants Call U.S. and Europe Home. // America;11/14/2011, Vol. 205 Issue 15, p8
The article reports that the International Organization for Migration has estimated that global migrants increased to 214 million in 2010 from 150 million people in 2000 and informs that the U.S. had 38.5 million people as immigrants.
- Chinese yearn to go to `beautiful' United States. Kristof, Nicolas // Chinatown News;7/3/93, Vol. 40 Issue 20, p4
Reports on the deluge of Chinese boat people seeking a new life in the United States. Fujian province as primary source; Human smuggling operations; Reasons for the migration; Communist Party's hold on the peasants and workers; Crackdown on `snakeheads'; Fujian's tradition of emigration.