Plastics, plastics everywhere
- Battling steel. Keenan, Tim // Ward's Auto World;Sep96, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p47
Focuses on plastics' uphill battle against more traditional exterior materials for automobiles. Advantages of steel; Growing popularity of the thermoset sheet molding composite (SMC) material; Use of colored SMC on the Jeep's TJ's roof assembly; Thermoplastics used in the Opel Vectra-based Saturn.
- Plastics graduate underhood. Keenan, Tim // Ward's Auto World;Sep96, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p49
Talks about the use of plastics for engine-compartment components. Advantages of using plastics under the hood; Underhood applications for nylon; Predictions for the use of glass-fiber reinforced nylon; Notable underhood components on vehicles.
- Plastics suppliers take the battle underhood. Phelan, Mark // Automotive Industries;Jan1997, Vol. 177 Issue 1, p66
Focuses on plastics suppliers' campaign to displace metals in automobiles. Winning the battle of the air intake manifold; Skirmish over valve covers; Underhood nylon use; Japanese automakers' slow pace in adopting hood plastics.
- Plastics under the hood. G.S.V. // Automotive Manufacturing & Production;Apr98, Vol. 110 Issue 4, p16
Focuses on the emergence of automotive applications for plastic. Reliability of vibration welding as a plastics joining process; Growth in the use of plastics in intake manifolds; Other application areas in automobiles.
- A Third of Car Manifolds Will Be Plastic by 2004. // Plastics Technology;Jan2000, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p57
Highlights the TownsendTarnell Inc. report `Automotive Fuel Systems--1999,' which showed that injection molded plastic intake manifolds have 24% in the automotive market. Market share of nylon intake manifolds; Estimated increase in market share for injection molded plastic in the automotive...
- Truck makers turning to SMC for sleek look. Kisiel, Ralph // Plastics News;1/20/1997, Vol. 8 Issue 47, p16
Reports on the use of sheet molding compounds (SMC) by heavy-duty truck makers in building tractors. Importance of aerodynamics for less fuel consumption; Volume of SMC used on 1997-model heavy trucks; Properties of SMC that make it ideal for trucks; Light-duty trucks, vans and sport-utilities...
- Lose a fender, gain a hood. Keenan, Tim // Ward's Auto World;Sep94, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p57
Focuses on the importance of various plastics in the automobile industry. Projected increase in the use of sheet molded composite (SMC) in the automobile industry in fiscal 1994; Benefits of using SMC in car manufacturing; Applications for new plastic materials in 1995.
- Plastics take over non-traditional applications. Visnic, Bill // Ward's Auto World;Sep94, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p59
Focuses on the benefits of using plastic for automobiles. Projected increase in the use of plastic intakes for underhood components; Ability of plastic materials to provide engineers with design flexibility.
- Plastics plateau. Winter, Drew // Ward's Auto World;Sep97, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p65
Presents information as it relates to the usage of plastics in vehicles in the automobile industry. Details on a joint venture between GE Plastics company and Bayer AG; Comparison between steel costs with plastic tooling; Prediction of the growth for plastic by president of Market Search...