House Shutdown Will Delay Vote on Stimulus Package
- Lobbyists try to hitch a ride on stimulus package. // Hill;1/29/2008, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p11
The article reports that lobbyists in the U.S. has hoped to attach their priorities to the economic stimulus package. It is stated that various industries in the country have their own concerns and goals to push into the bill. Meanwhile, the Senate has planned to take a closer look at the deal...
- African leaders support the African Growth and Opportunity Act. // New York Amsterdam News;07/30/98, Vol. 89 Issue 31, p17
Reports on the support given by a number of African leaders to the 1998 African Growth and Opportunity Act. Details on the passage of this landmark trade bill; Comments made by the Ambassador of Tanzania; Aims of this legislation; Identity of the persons who are opposed to this bill.
- Back on Its Feet. McMahon, Kevin // Next American City;Winter2009, Issue 25, p12
The article discusses the changes to the development code passed by the City Council of Houston, Texas, which provides for wider sidewalks and requires a minimum number of public entrances for new buildings.
- Lenders Have High Hopes for N.M. High-Tech Bill. Kuehner-Hebert, Katie // American Banker;2/21/2003, Vol. 168 Issue 35, p4
Reports on an economic growth bill to stimulate New Mexico's technology economy. Provisions of the bill; Lack of research facilities in the state; Need for such a legislation.
- The House of Representatives--state by state. // World Almanac for Kids;1996, p221
Lists the number of representatives per state that are in the United States House of Representatives.
- Procurement rates are emphasized in '89... // Aviation Week & Space Technology;6/13/88, Vol. 128 Issue 24, p25
The House Appropriations Committee has recommended appropriations for Fiscal 1989 military spending that closely match funding already authorized by the full house. The appropriations bill does not repeat restrictive language on arms control issues already adopted by the House, but instead...
- House blocks attempt to slash station funds. Mecham, M. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;7/24/1989, Vol. 131 Issue 4, p32
Reports that the House voted to recommend a 13 percent increase to NASA's total Fiscal 1990 funding, blocking an attempt to slash space station funding in order to benefit other programs. Other committee changes to NASA budget request. B
- Omnibus Drug Legislation. // Congressional Digest;Nov86, Vol. 65 Issue 11, p259
H.R.5484, the Omnibus Drug Enforcement, Education and Control Act of 1986, has spurred controversy. Should the Armed Forces be used to intercept shipments; Should the death penalty be used to deter sales? Listed: federal agencies involved, drug legislation 1965-86, recent Congressional...
- Balanced Budget Constitutional Amendment. // Congressional Digest;Nov89, Vol. 68 Issue 11, p257
Presents a general discussion of the political issue of how to achieve a balance of revenues and expenditures within the Federal budget and the proposal of a balanced budget constitutional amendment.