Louisiana Reschedules $1.2B Deal Over Lawsuit Questions
- Tobacco firms offer $360 billion. Hofmann, Mark A.; Prince, Michael // Business Insurance;06/23/97, Vol. 31 Issue 25, p1
Focuses on a proposed settlement between the tobacco industry and a group of state attorneys in the United States. Terms and conditions applicable to the proposal; Effects on the cigarette manufacturers; Identification of major provisions associated with the deal.
- In a deal with the devil, who do you think comes out ahead? Dombrowski, Bob // New Hampshire Business Review;07/18/97, Vol. 19 Issue 15, p9
Criticizes the agreement forged between states' attorney general and United States tobacco companies regarding the settlement of class action suit filed against tobacco companies by the states. Projected amount of settlement; Possibility that tobacco companies may pass the settlement costs to...
- How Wall Street Tobacco Deals Left States with Billions in Toxic Debt. Podkul, Cezary // Bondbuyer.com;8/ 7/2014, p9
The article discusses the Tobacco Deal that was struck between the tobacco industry and U.S. attorney generals on November 1998 wherein the tobacco industry would pay for health care involving smoking. It is said that these tobacco deals are driving states into bailouts or threatening to...
- Tobacco industry deal adds revenue. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);7/4/2003, Vol. 50 Issue 28, p10B
Reports on the added revenue provided by an agreement with the tobacco industry to New York. Share of the state to the national settlement reached by the industry and attorneys general from several states; Amount paid by tobacco companies in compensation taxpayers for smoking-related public...
- N.Y.C. to Restructure Tobacco Debt. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;9/16/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31720, p1
Reports on the restructuring of the tobacco bonds in New York City. Plans of the city officials to finance ongoing capital projects; Need of discussing the alternative tobacco bond structures; Use of double-barrel pledges in selling tobacco bonds.
- S.C. Tobacco Securitization Yields Extra $16 Million. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;03/12/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31094, p39
Reports that the state government of South Carolina generated more proceeds than expected from the sale of tobacco revenue bonds. Excess amount generated from the bond deal; South Carolina officials' plans of taking a break after such a successful conclusion to the state's bond transaction;...
- IRS Ends Audit of Westchester County's '99 Tobacco Deal. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;5/8/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31382, p4
Reports the conclusion of the Internal Revenue Service audit on the tobacco securitization bond issue in Westchester County, New York. Retention of tax-exempt debt; Variation in the structure of tobacco financing; Recovery of working capital needs.
- UBS Report Sees Market Shift as Wisconsin Helps Run Up Supply. Fine, Jacob // Bond Buyer;5/8/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31382, p27
Reports the increasing volume of tobacco bonds in Wisconsin. Alteration of market dynamics; Expansion of calendar for tobacco deals; Projection of turbo redemption date.
- Tobacco Bonds. // Crain's New York Business;03/15/99, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p34
Reports on New York City's selection of three firms to take the lead in arranging its proposed sale of bonds backed by funds from the legal settlement reached between American tobacco companies and 46 states.