In Nepal, a woman's reproductive system is her greatest vulnerability
- Banning traditional birth attendants from conducting deliveries: experiences and effects of the ban in a rural district of Kazungula in Zambia. Chilala Cheelo; Nzala, Selestine; Zulu, Joseph M. // BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth;10/21/2016, Vol. 16, p1
Background: In 2010 the government of the republic of Zambia stopped training traditional birth attendants and forbade them from conducting home deliveries as they were viewed as contributing to maternal mortality. This study explored positive and negative maternal health related experiences and...
- Maternal mortality: A challenge in achieving Millennium Development Goals. Ghazavi, Hamed; Ahadi, Mina; Saeedi, Reza // Iranian Journal of Neonatology;2014, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p11
Introduction: Reducing the labour by an unskilful person is an important strategy in promotion of mother's health and reducing the maternal mortality as the fifth millennium development goals. Methods: This retrospective and descriptive study was accomplishd in 2010.The samples were 189 Iranian...
- INCIDENCE CAUSES AND OUTCOME OF OBSTRUCTED LABOR IN SHEIKH ZAID WOMEN HOSPITAL LARKANA-A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL. AHMED, SHAZIA; NAZ, IRUM; KHOKHAR, SHAZIA; BALOCH, RAFIA // Medical Channel;Apr-Jun2013, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p40
Introduction: Each year, 210 million women become pregnant, of whom 350,000-500,000 die from complications during pregnancy or childbirth and 99 percent of them are from developing countries. Obstructed labour is not only one of the five leading causes of maternal death but also an important...
- Small really is beautiful. Walsh, Denis // British Journal of Midwifery;May2002, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p272
Examines the disadvantages of delivering in big hospitals. Increment of birth intervention; Citation of the dissatisfaction of women; Indication of expensive birth technologies and services.
- Care seeking at time of childbirth, and maternal and perinatal mortality in Matlab, Bangladesh. Ronsmans, Carine; Chowdhury, Mahbub Elahi; Koblinsky, Marge; Ahmed, Anisuddin // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;Apr2010, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p289
Objective To examine the nature of the relationship between the use of skilled attendance around the time of delivery and maternal and perinatal mortality. Methods We analysed health and demographic surveillance system data collected between 1987 and 2005 by the International Centre for...
- General practitioner obstetrics in the Northern region in 1983. Marsh, G.N.; Cashman, H.A.; Russell, I.T. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);3/23/1985, Vol. 290 Issue 6472, p901
Focuses on the sample questionnaires for general practitioner obstetrics in the Northern region of England. Evaluations on the facilities for delivery; Isolation of maternity units; Efficacy in terms of training and intranatal facilities provided by general practitioners.
- How many births in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia will not be attended by a skilled birth attendant between 2011 and 2015? // BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p4
The article focuses on the study which estimates absolute number of non-skilled birth attendant (SBA) births between the year 2011 and 2015 in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. It also states that regions will have approximately the same number of non-SBA births by 2015 . It presents the...
- From home delay to institutional neglect: an emerging trend in obstructed labour. Abiodun, O. M.; Aboyeji, A. P. // Tropical Doctor;Jul2008, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p195
Analysis of 146 patients managed for obstructed labour at a referral tertiary hospital in South West Nigeria shows that labour became obstructed in a lower cadre health facility among majority (76.7%) of the women. This calls for improved maternity service delivery in our locality.
- Providing the best of birth worlds? Daniel, Lincia // British Journal of Midwifery;Oct2005, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p614
Focuses on the improvement of maternity services for women and suitably designed birth environments. Connection between the woman's environment and her childbirth experience; Concerns of pregnant women; Benefits of providing a woman-centered environment during childbirth according to a survey by...