Decades of water safety training culturally "irrelevant" to First Nation people
- Firm's Personal Retriever Adds Spin to Lifesaving. Hill, Martin // San Diego Business Journal;6/17/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 24, p35
Reports on a new life-saving device Personal Retriever designed by San Diego, California-based Life-Safer Inc. to give emergency personnel a way to quickly retrieve a drowning person without putting themselves in jeopardy as of June 2002. Views of Life-Safer president Paul Driscoll on the...
- AI 'lifeguard' will save drowning swimmers. Marks, Paul // New Scientist;1/5/2013, Vol. 217 Issue 2898, p18
The article reports on an artificial intelligence (AI) water lifeguarding system created by researcher Ken Sakamura and team which uses pressure sensors to detect irregular swimming motions with neural network software to deploy emergency devices such as flotation devices to prevent drowning.
- ROBO-BAYWATCH. Calderin, Alessandra // Popular Science;Jul2010, Vol. 277 Issue 1, p38
The article discusses an invention called EMILY (EMergency Integrated Lifesaving lanYard), which is a remote-controlled robot lifeguard. Topics include an overview of how EMILY works by using sonar to scan for the underwater movements of distressed swimmers, brief statistics regarding how many...
- Keep your head above water. // Consumer Reports;May99, Vol. 64 Issue 5, p30
Evaluates several life jackets including type I through type IV and child types II and III. Results from testing for safety; Which jackets performed best; Comfort; Convenience; Recommendations; Requirements by the United States Coast Guard. INSET: What about kids and nonswimmers?.
- New Mercury Enflatable Jacket. // Professional Fisherman;Mar2005, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p40
Focuses on the inflatable Personal Flotation Device introduced by Mercury Marine. Design to make wearing it as comfortable as possible; Manufacturing standards; Contact information.
- SHOPPING FOR A PFD. Verdon, Michael // Boating World;Jan2007, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p108
The article offers advice for boaters on purchasing personal flotation devices (PFD). It cites the importance of carrying a PFD to boaters. It states the factors that need to be considered in purchasing a PFD. When not in use, life vests should be removed and reloaded in order to keep them in...
- They Are Called "Life Jackets" For A Reason. // Out of Doors;Mar2005, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p8
Stresses the importance of making sure the life jacket would work if the wearer falls overboard or if the boat capsizes. Primary function of a life jacket; Tips from the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Safe Boating Council on choosing the right life jacket; Ways to test the buoyancy of the...
- Life-Saver. // MotorBoating;Mar2005, Vol. 195 Issue 3, p42
Features the MD0200 automatic inflatable life vest from Mustang Survival.
- INVENTION. // Beaver;Aug/Sep2004, Vol. 84 Issue 4, p9
Presents information on a life-preserver suitcase invented by John Edlund, a former sailor from Claresholm, Alberta. Factor that led to the invention; Description of the suit; Failure of Edlund's invention to reach the market.