HUMANITIES: BOOKS. Current writings in medical humanities
- Why are there no great black critics? Cole, T.J. // Community Review;1996, Vol. 14, p82
Reviews literature to cite reasons why there are no great Afro-American art critics. Blending of western classical tradition and African American folk traditions; Criticism on various art movements.
- Critics and Artists. Pearlstein, Philip // Art Journal;Dec77, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p151
Discusses threats facing the practice of art criticism. How an artist becomes significant when his work is discussed in print; Ways in which reviewers minimize the fact that what they write has a bearing on the life of the artist; Artists' provision of the raw material for the whole profession...
- Art by any other name. Skidelsky, Edward // Prospect;Oct2010, Issue 175, p80
The article focuses on the use of terms such as important, seminal, and influential by art critics as expressions of praise which is bizarre since there is nothing ipso facto praiseworthy about influence or importance.
- The art of critique. Malmgren, Rick // Ceramics Monthly;Sep96, Vol. 44 Issue 7, p116
Discusses a strategy for providing a critique of students' ceramic art work. Making students the judges; Personal criteria; Teaching students the objective criteria; Element of personal projection by the artist; Change in feelings of being a teacher; Essence of art education.
- A map of modern art. Lindbohm, M. // Commentary;Apr92, Vol. 93 Issue 4, p39
Discusses the key to understanding contemporary art. The three aesthetic impulses--the formalist, the iconoclastic and the sacerdotal; Description of each with representative artists; Effects of pornography and the obscenely violent; Performance art; Effects of the AIDS epidemic; The...
- Arts council seeks panelists. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;6/3/2002, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p6
Announces the search for panelists by the Arts Council of Rockland in New York.
- The content of art criticism. Anderson, Tom // Art Education;Jan1991, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p17
Explains the theoretical and contextual basis of art criticism. Description of principles influencing the practice of art criticism; Review of the instructional models of art criticism; Mental premise supporting the practice of art criticism.
- Mona Lisa's Millstone: The modern gods of criticism. Fehr, Dennis E. // Art Education;Jan1993, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p68
Discusses the most widely used models of criticism in art education developed by Broudy and Feldman, the Gemini Twins of Modern Classroom Criticism. Discussion on how should one criticize an art object through examining its technical, sensory, formal, and expressive properties according to...
- Arts criticism changes direction. // Quill;Jul/Aug94, Vol. 82 Issue 6, p8
Looks at the report `Critical Conditions: Arts Criticism in Minnesota in the Nineties,' published by the Center for Arts Criticism.