The view from the Rock
- Mobilize at government doorsteps, CMA president urges. Collier, Roger // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;9/20/2011, Vol. 183 Issue 13, pE1010
The article offers insights of Canadian Medical Association (CMA) president John Haggie during his inaugural address at CMA's 144th annual general meeting in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador on August 24, 2011. Haggie mentions his concerns over medical services delivery and the challenges...
- Flogging the transformation agenda. Kondro, Wayne // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;9/21/2010, Vol. 182 Issue 13, pE653
The article focuses on the transformation of the health care system in Canada. According to pollster Nik Nanos, Prime Minister Stephen Harper has adopted a hands-off approach regarding the issue because he sees it as a provincial jurisdiction. Meanwhile, it mentions that the Canadian Medical...
- Obstacles to health care transformation are numerous. Vogel, Lauren // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;9/21/2010, Vol. 182 Issue 13, pE646
The article reports that the risk-averse health care culture in Canada may hinder necessary health care reforms in the country. Dr. Jack Kitts of Ottawa Hospital in Ontario said at the 143rd annual meeting of the Canadian Medical Association (CMA) on August 22, 2010 that unions and the...
- Canadians frustrated with a health system that doesn't work, CMA says. Vogel, Lauren // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;9/20/2011, Vol. 183 Issue 13, pE1013
The article focuses on a report by the Canadian Medical Association's public consultations on health care transformation, which revealed that Canada's health care system is failing patients, mainly elderly and children, due to unacceptable wait times, crowded hospitals, and poor job of...
- Health ministries considering CMA's access-to-care proposal. Sibbald, Barbara // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;05/19/98, Vol. 158 Issue 10, p1261
Reports that the Canadian Medical Association (CMA) has responded to the uproar about access to health care with a long-term solution. What the solution proposes; By whom it will be led; Why it is extremely difficult to obtain information on health care waiting times; The need for observational...
- Never too late to talk transformation. Vogel, Lauren // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;2/8/2011, Vol. 183 Issue 2, pE97
The article reports on the efforts of the Canadian Medical Association (CMA) to have a national dialogue regarding the health care transformation in Canada through an interactive website, located at www.HealthCareTransformation.ca, and town hall meetings throughout the country.
- FOLLOW 'CANADIAN WAY' TO REFORM HEALTH CARE: HEAL. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;2/3/2015, Vol. 187 Issue 2, p148
The article reports on the decision of the Canadian Medical Association to join a coalition of 39 national health care groups in urging for a return to their conventional way of addressing national health issues via compassion, consensus, and collaboration.
- Health Council criticizes health reform progress. // British Columbia Medical Journal;Jul/Aug2013, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p293
The article focuses on the 2013 progress report by the Health Council of Canada which criticizes the slow pace of health reform in Canada which cannot keep up with the evolving health care needs of citizens.
- Physicians and federal government in need of self-examination. Kondro, Wayne // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;9/18/2012, Vol. 184 Issue 13, pE699
The article presents information on the 145th annual general meeting held in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories at which John Haggie, outgoing president of the Canadian Medical Association focused on the need of establishing good relation between physicians and patients. It informs that...