Running a red light
- We all live downstream. MacDonald, Lynn // American Forests;Mar/Apr95, Vol. 101 Issue 3/4, p14
Reports on citizen participation toward the restoration of America's waterways. Implications of the restoration of one of America's abused river, the Chicago River; Attraction presented by the Strawberry Creek Park in Berkely, California through its landscape architecture; Proposal for a...
- Canal plans fade. // Chemical Week;4/16/1997, Vol. 159 Issue 15, p44
Reflects on the loss of interest of the Mexican government on the construction of a waterway that links Texas with Mexican ports. Estimated cost of the construction; What prompted the loss of interest in the project; Other information.
- Toxics Data Disappears. // Chemical Week;7/28/1999, Vol. 161 Issue 28, p36
States that a legislative review commission in Virginia says that former governor George Allen's administration dismantled the state's system for tracking contamination in waterways. Factors that cause the agency to stop handling the data in 1993; Issues that prompt the commission's review.
- ENTER THE DRAGON -- AND IT'S GREEN. BALLANTYNE, STUART // Ausmarine;Sep2010, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p10
The article presents a criticism of the Greens, an Australian political party devoted to environmental policies. It says that they replaced the Democrats who were voted out of office due to a number of scandals, and are also working against them rather than supporting their constituents. It...
- Robbing banks of their most valuable assets. Kelly, Edward // Chain Reaction;Winter99, Issue 79, p16
Discusses the damages done to Australia's river environments. Loss of native riparian vegetation; Uncontrolled access to waterways by stock; Removal of large wood debris; Landowners' responsibilities and community awareness.
- Food for thought. // Animals;May/Jun98, Vol. 131 Issue 3, p29
Presents facts about farm waste and waterways. Amount of manure produced by United States' farm animals annually; Agricultural runoff as the chief pollutant of waterways; Suspected source of the 1997 toxic Pfiesteria piscicida outbreak; Risks of factory farming to human health.
- Opposition to Hidrovia project grows. Nowikowski, Frank // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Nov93, Vol. 65 Issue 11, p6
Reports on the examination of the group Wetlands for the Americas on the environmental impact of the proposed Hidrovia project. Aim to improve navigation from the seaports at the River Plate estuary in Brazil; Other potential benefits of the waterway.
- WE URGENTLY NEED AN INQUIRY. Stehr, Hagen // Ausmarine;Aug2011, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p6
The author discusses how the Australian government is pulling down the fishing industry. He is critical of the mismanagement by such ministers as, Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts Peter Garrett and Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities...
- Clean, green and poverty stricken. Baird, Neil // Ausmarine;Jun2012, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p5
The author criticizes environmental extremism and the Australian Greens' implementation of environmental policies in Tasmania. He believes that the Greens are not the unselfish idealists that they make themselves to be and that they are only using environmentalism to hide their real agendas. The...