Clamp-Assisted Reduction of High Subtrochanteric Fractures of the Femur
- INDUSTRY NEWS. // Orthopedics Today;Sep2010, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p68
This section offers news briefs related to the orthopedics industry including the first implantation of the Zimmer NCB (Non-Contact Bridging) Periprosthetic Plating System Zimmer Holdings Inc., a warning letter issued by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to Biomet, and a 510(k)...
- Cementless bipolar hemiarthroplasty in femoral neck fractures in elderly. Marya, S. K. S.; Thukral, R.; Hasan, R.; Tripathi, M. // Indian Journal of Orthopaedics;May/Jun2011, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p236
Background: Cemented hip arthroplasty is an established treatment for femoral neck fracture in the mobile elderly. Cement pressurization raises intramedullary pressure and may lead to fat embolization, resulting in fatal bone cement implantation syndrome, particularly in patients with multiple...
- Hoffa fracture: fixation using headless compression screws. Borse, V.; Hahnel, J.; Cohen, A. // European Journal of Trauma & Emergency Surgery;Oct2010, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p477
Introduction: Hoffa fractures are uni- or bicondylar fractures of the distal femur in a coronal tangential plane. Case Presentation: We report the case of an isolated, low energy, closed, displaced, lateral femoral condyle Hoffa fracture in a 54 year old Caucasian man. This was treated by open...
- Primary hemiarthroplasty for unstable osteoporotic intertrochanteric fractures in the elderly. Aadala, Raviraj; Anand, Ashish; Sancheti, K. H.; Sancheti, P. K.; Shyam, A. K.; Patil, S.; Dhariwal, Q.; Joshi, R. // Indian Journal of Orthopaedics;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p380
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Primary hemiarthroplasty for unstable osteoporotic intertrochanteric fractures in the elderly: A retrospective case series," by K. H. Sancheti et al, in the 2010 volume 44 issue, along with the response of the authors.
- A subtle intra-operative complication of the IMHS that may go unnoticed. Sprenger De Rover, W.; Alazzawi, S.; Patel, A.; Walton, N. // European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology;Jul2011, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p353
We present two cases with intra-operative complications during the placement of intra-medullary hip screw (IMHS). In both occasions, the implant accidentally breached the anterior cortex of the distal femur. Lateral view with image intensifier confirmed the perforation. This intra-operative...
- Passive Pneumatic Stabilization Device for Assisting in Reduction of Femoral Shaft Fractures. Matthews, Felix; Neuhaus, Valentin; Schmucki, Daniel; Schwyn, Ronald; Gross, Thomas; Regazzoni, Pietro; Trentz, Otmar; Messmer, Peter // European Journal of Trauma;Dec2005, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p568
During treatment of femoral shaft fractures, not only the actual fracture reduction but also the retention of the achieved reduction is essential. Substantial forces may apply to the bone fragments, due to multidirectional muscular contraction. Furthermore, forces from manipulation of one bone...
- Study does not recommend THR for older patients with femoral neck fractures. Brockenbrough, Gina; Owens, Colleen // Orthopedics Today;Nov2010, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p8
The article presents research which does not support the use of total hip replacement in treating patients older than 70 years who maintain femoral neck displaced intracapsular fractures.
- Ipsilateral femoral neck and trochanter fracture. Raviraj, A.; Anand, Ashish; Neogi, Devdatta S.; K. V., Ajay Kumar; Trikha, Vivek; Yadav, Chandra S. // Indian Journal of Orthopaedics;May/Jun2011, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p284
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Ipsilateral femoral neck and trochanter fracture," by D. S. Neogi and colleagues in a 2011 issue.
- Internal Fixation of Type-C Distal Femoral Fractures in Osteoporotic Bone. Wähnert, Dirk; Hoffmeier, Konrad L.; von Oldenburg, Geert; Fräber, Rosemarie; Hofmann, Gunther O.; Mückley, Thomas // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Jun2010, Vol. 92-A Issue 6, p1442
Background: Fixation of distal femoral fractures remains a challenge, especially in osteoporotic bone. This study was performed to investigate the biomechanical stability of four different fixation devices for the treatment of comminuted distal femoral fractures in osteoporotic bone. Methods:...