Economic Risk: Capital Controls Risks Rising
- Rights and wrongs: A property rights perspective of Russia's market reforms. Devlin, Rose Anne; Grafton, R. Quentin; Rowlands, Dane // Antitrust Bulletin;Spring98, Vol. 43 Issue 1, p275
Examines the importance of property rights to the market economy of eastern Europe, especially in Russia. Definiton of property rights; Information on private property rights systems; What factors ensure market success; Assessment of property rights reform in Russia; Role played by capital and...
- Give capitalism a soul. Taber, George M. // Business News New Jersey;05/25/98, Vol. 11 Issue 21, p8
Presents the address of the author during the convocation of Rutgers School of Management and Graduate School of Management concerning capitalism. Struggle between Karl Marx's socialism and Adam Smith's market economy; Efficiency of capitalism.
- The minimal politics of market order. Buchanan, James M. // CATO Journal;Fall91, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p215
Points out that an economy organized on market principles minimizes the importance of the political bureaucracy. Relationship between politicization and market organization; Distinction between political pricing and market pricing; Notion of a politically influenced market price.
- The soft infrastructure of a market economy. Niskanen, William A. // CATO Journal;Fall91, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p233
Describes the basic institutions of a market economy. Legal system; Accounting system; Cultural attitudes.
- Property, markets, and money. Bernholz, Peter // CATO Journal;Winter92, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p409
Examines economic, political and social structures influencing economic transition of the Soviet Union's economy from a centrally planned economy to a market economy. Financial and monetary conditions in planned economies; Consequences of economic reforms; Measures to ease transition.
- Strategies for restoring financial stability during the transition from plan to market. Dolan, Edwin G. // CATO Journal;Winter92, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p425
Investigates the strategies for restoring financial stability during the transition of planned economy to a market economy. Nature and origins of repressed inflation; Impacts of economic reform; Strategies for financial stabilization.
- Myths about the free market. // Commentary;Feb1987, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p38
The debate over the role of the government in the economy is over either a free market or one which the government controls. This stark choice infuses the issue with mythical overtones, and excites controversy whether we must abandon other social concerns in favor of free markets or abandon free...
- Boredom, virtue, and democratic capitalism. Novak, M. // Commentary;Sep89, Vol. 88 Issue 3, p34
Comments on claims that history has reached its summit in the spread of capitalism. Capitalism and Judeo-Christian ideas; Virtues of capitalism; Spiritual deficiency of capitalism.
- The New-Design Chair Company. Brinton, H.G.; Garner, D. // Cobblestone;Apr90, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p26
Presents a condensed version of a story by Jeffrey Little using the example of the New-Design Chair Company, to illustrate how the capitalist system and the stock market work. Creating a product; Forming a corporation; Selling stock; Making a profit.