Piety, Purity and Pain: GÃ©rard Raymond and the Ideal of French Canadian Catholic Manhood
- GREAT LESSONS FROM 'BAD' HISTORY. Head, Thomas // Christian History;2001, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p22
Focuses on the practices and ideals of pre-modern Christianity from hagiography. Literature encompassed in hagiography; Details on the martyrdom of saints in the 'Martyrdom of Saint Polycarp,' and 'The Passion of Saints Perpetua and Felecity;' Efforts of vernacular legend authors in producing...
- Sam Jones: Masculine Prophet of God. Gregory, Chad // Georgia Historical Quarterly;Summer2002, Vol. 86 Issue 2, p231
Focuses on the impact of Georgia evangelist Samuel Porter Jones on the emergence of masculine expressions of spirituality in late nineteenth century. Background on Jones and his struggle against nervous dyspepsia and alcoholism; Examples of some of his spiritual discourses; Strategies employed...
- Masculinity, Reform, and Clerical Culture: Narratives of Episcopal Holiness in the Gregorian Era. Miller, Maureen C. // Church History;Mar2003, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p25
Explores the notion of masculinity, reform and clerical culture in the Gregorian Era. Implications of the struggle for clerical masculinity for gender relations in Western Europe; Description of the life of Saint Ulrich, Bishop of Augsburg from 923 to 973; Changes in the portrayal of power of...
- The Survey of Dedications to Saints in Medieval Scotland. Boardman, Steve // Innes Review;Autumn2008, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p189
The article presents information regarding an electronic reference and research Internet resource called The Survey of Dedications to Saints in Medieval Scotland hosted by the Edinburgh University at www.shea.ed.ac.uk/Research/saints/.
- Santo TomÃ¡s de Villanueva y algunos hitos en el camino de don Quijote y Sancho. COLAHAN, CLARK // Bulletin of Hispanic Studies (1475-3839);2015, Vol. 92 Issue 8, p897
Bataillon and Canavaggio have shown Cervantes' interest in hagiography, and it is refected in his dramatized saint's life, El rufÃ¡n dichoso, whose plot features a choice between a life as a highwayman or as a saint. Since Don Quixote and Sancho have in fact often acted as highwaymen, it is...
- MALE MEANING IN GENERIC MASCULINES IN KOINE GREEK. Poythress, Vern Sheridan // Westminster Theological Journal;Fall2004, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p325
Discusses the male meaning in generic masculines in Koine Greek. Significance of generic masculines; Idea of a male representative case; Masculine generics in Greek.
- BASIC COUNTENANCE OF MASCULINITY IN THE LIGHT OF ISLAM. Al-Madni, Abdul Hai // Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business;Jul2012, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p101
Islamic guidance covers all area of human life. In these areas is a key area of sexology. Because sex is the natural requirement of humanity. Islam viewed the sexual act as sacred, private and a source of human reproduction. In order To prevent social ills in Muslim society has led to marriage...
- The Masculinity of Christ according to Zinzendorf. VOGT, PETER // Journal of Moravian History (Pennsylvania State University Press;2015, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p97
This article explores the question of evidence and interpretation in relation to Zinzendorf's view of Christ's masculinity. The point of departure is the debate about Fogelman's thesis that eighteenth-century Moravians believed in a female Jesus. This debate has made clear that the Moravian view...
- PAUL'S VISION OF A NEW MASCULINITY (EPH 5:21-6:9). Keown, Mark // Colloquium: The Australian & New Zealand Theological Review;May2016, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p47
The article offers the author's insights on the key passages in the book of Ephesians 5:21-6:9, focusing on masculinity, family relationships, and submission of women to their husbands.