Transcription profiling of fertilization and early seed development events in a solanaceous species using a 7.7 K cDNA microarray from Solanum chacoense ovules
- Microspore gene expression associated with cytoplasmic male sterility and fertility restoration in sorghum. Pring, D. R.; Tang, H. V.; Chase, C. D.; Siripant, M. N. // Sexual Plant Reproduction;Mar2006, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p25
Gene expression associated with the restoration of fertility in sorghum lines carrying the IS1112C male-sterile cytoplasm was characterized through cDNA-AFLP transcript profiling and examinations of protein product abundance of selected mitochondrial genes. Microspores from near-isogenic...
- Pollen presentation, pollen-ovule ratios, and other reproductive traits in Mediterranean Legumes (Fam. Fabaceae - Subfam. Faboideae). Galloni, M.; Podda, L.; Vivarelli, D.; Cristofolini, G. // Plant Systematics & Evolution;Aug2007, Vol. 266 Issue 3/4, p147
We studied the allocation of reproductive resources in 32 Mediterranean legume species. Correlations between main parameters were analysed at interspecific level. For each species we described the type of pollen presentation and examined its systematic significance. The high P/O values observed...
- Identification and characterization of TcCRP1, a pollen tube attractant from Torenia concolor. Kanaoka, Masahiro M.; Kawano, Nao; Matsubara, Yoshiyuki; Susaki, Daichi; Okuda, Satohiro; Sasaki, Narie; Higashiyama, Tetsuya // Annals of Botany;Sep2011, Vol. 108 Issue 4, p739
Background and Aims During sexual reproduction in higher angiosperms, the pollen tubes are directed to the ovules in the pistil to deliver sperm cells. This pollen tube attraction is highly species specific, and a group of small secreted proteins, TfCRPs, are necessary for this process in...
- Temperature stress and plant sexual reproduction: uncovering the weakest links. Zinn, Kelly E.; Tunc-Ozdemir, Meral; Harper, Jeffrey F. // Journal of Experimental Botany;Jun2010, Vol. 61 Issue 7, p1959
The reproductive (gametophytic) phase in flowering plants is often highly sensitive to hot or cold temperature stresses, with even a single hot day or cold night sometimes being fatal to reproductive success. This review describes studies of temperature stress on several crop plants, which...
- Pathogen infection and selection on fertilization success in Cucumis sativus. Kiboi, Samuel; Skogsmyr, Io // Sexual Plant Reproduction;Mar2006, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p1
We investigated whether resistant pollen genotypes can be selected for when the maternal plants are infected and whether infection can result to changes in the pistil nutrient level influencing reproductive outcome. Both resistance and susceptibility come with costs that may affect pre- and...
- POLLEN CHARACTERISTICS IN SOME DIOSPYROS SPECIES. GRYGORIEVA, OLGA; BRINDZA, JÁN; OSTROVSKÝ, RADOVAN; KLYMENKO, SVETLANA; GRABOVETSKA, OLGA // Modern Phytomorphology;2013, Vol. 3, p45
Aim of the work was to study the general characteristics and essential morphological traits of pollen grains viz the size, shape of pollen grains and number, form and position of apertures in Diospyros kaki L.f., D. virginiana L., D. lotus L. species and interspecies hybrid of D. virginiana...
- cross-compatible. Gough, Robert E. // Glossary of Vital Terms for the Home Gardener;1993, p28
A definition of the term "cross-compatible" is presented. It refers to the time when the pollen of one cultivar is capable of growing on the stigma of another.
- cross-fruitful:. Gough, Robert E. // Glossary of Vital Terms for the Home Gardener;1993, p28
A definition of the term "cross-fruitful" is presented. It refers to bearing fruit by cross-pollination.
- self-pollination:. Gough, Robert E. // Glossary of Vital Terms for the Home Gardener;1993, p81
A definition of the term "self-pollination" is presented. It refers to the transfer of pollen from anther to stigma of the same flower or between flowers of the same cultivar.