Are executives departing for 'poor performance' entitled to notice?
- "Golden Parachutes": A Closer Look. Cochran, Philip L.; Wartick, Steven L. // California Management Review;Summer84, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p111
This article describes various aspects related to the policy of golden parachutes (GP). Discussed are golden parachutes in regards to changes in organizational control, voluntary and involuntary termination, and guaranteed employment provisions. In regards to the question of who has golden...
- Another Swat for Fannie -- This Time Over Severance. Davenport, Todd; Paletta, Damian // American Banker;12/29/2004, Vol. 169 Issue 248, p4
Reports that compensation and benefits for outgoing Fannie Mae executives Franklin Raines and Timothy Howard startled observers. Reference to the fact that Mr. Raines' options would be worth $5.5 million if they were exercised at a recent price of the stock; Possibility that the value will be...
- 'Golden Parachutes' Up in Financial Downturn. // Financial Executive;Apr2012, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p11
The article summarizes a study by the tax-advisory unit of professional-services company Alvarez & Marsal that found an increase among companies in the incidence of golden parachute severance plans for executives.
- On margin. // Finance Week;5/19/2003, p74
Presents several anecdotes. Professional ethics of a genie; Approach to employee dismissal; Value of golden parachute in cases of executive retrenchment.
- Golden parachute rules. Aisenbrey, Beverly; Kanter, Jeffrey M. // Corporate Board;Mar/Apr90, Vol. 11 Issue 61, p8
Examines the US Internal Revenue Service's proposed regulations fleshing out the definition of an excess golden parachute payment under Internal Revenue Code provisions. General summary of the golden parachute law; Proposed rules on change-in-control of corporations; Nature of parachute...
- Bonuses locked in a small orbit. Cardona, Mercedes M. // Pensions & Investments;12/25/1995, Vol. 23 Issue 26, p8
Reports that according to financial executive recruiting specialists from G.Z. Stephens, New York, compensation levels for Wall Street executives will not be as frothy as 1995's markets. Financial services firms not up to expectation; Comments from partners Joan Zimmerman and Howard Gabler.
- Taxation of Compensation and Benefits. Cvach, Gary Q.; Stecher, Terri L.E. // Corporate Business Taxation Monthly;May2002, Vol. 3 Issue 8, p29
Focuses on the changes on golden parachute rules under Section 280G in the U.S. Application to special entities; Valuation of stock options; Amount of payment contingent on change in control; Types of change in control.
- On the Importance of Golden Parachutes. Fich, Eliezer M.; Tran, Anh L.; Walkling, Ralph A. // Journal of Financial & Quantitative Analysis;Dec2013, Vol. 48 Issue 6, p1717
In acquisitions, target chief executive officers (CEOs) face a moral hazard: Any personal gain from the deal could be offset by the loss of the future compensation stream associated with their jobs. Larger, more important parachutes provide greater relief for these losses. To explicitly measure...
- golden parachute. Stim, Richard // Contracts: The Essential Business Desk Reference;2010, p181
An encyclopedia entry for "golden parachute" is presented. It refers to an agreement by which a departing executive receives a payment such as severance pay, bonuses, or stock options. It may be part of an executive's original employment contract or part of a severance package when the executive...