The FTSE files: Rio Tinto
- City of Austin Aims to Fix Pension Problems. Sorondo, Marc // Investment Management Weekly;8/14/2006, Vol. 19 Issue 32, p6
The article reports on the extra funds added by the city of Austin in Texas in the hope that it can lessen the strain on the underfunded pension system. The budget approved by the City Council includes giving an extra $3.6 million to the $1.5 billion City of Austin Employees' Retirement System....
- Pension underfunding and liberal retirement benefits among state and local government workers. Johnson, Richard W. // National Tax Journal;Mar97, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p113
This paper finds evidence that the relative generosity of pensions among state and local government workers is related to the ability to underfund public employee retirement plans. Since underfunding can reduce tax burdens for residents who expect to leave the community before retirement...
- More to City Pensions Than Meets the Eye. Rider, Richard // San Diego Business Journal;10/3/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 40, p42
Focuses on the inadequacy of public employee pension plan in San Diego, California. Problem arising related to under-funding and illegal acts of the pension plan; Indication that public employees should earn higher wages than the taxpayers who pay their salaries; Impact of taxpayers initiative...
- DB Plans: Public Pension Underfunding Causing Concerns. Anderson, Tom // Investment Management Weekly;8/22/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 33, p4
Focuses on issues related to the underfunding of public pensions in the U.S. in 2005. Percentage of funding levels of most public pensions; Comparison between public pensions and private plans; Development of pension obligation bonds in the country.
- Pensions Get Funding Relief, Higher PBGC Rates. Whitehouse, Tammy // Compliance Week;Aug2012, Vol. 9 Issue 103, p6
The article offers information on the law passed by the U.S. Congress which reduced cash outlays from corporate pension plan sponsors to underfunded pension plan but companies will increase their premiums given to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. (PBGC).
- UNDERFUNDING MAY TRIGGER PENSION BAILOUT. // USA Today Magazine;Jan2005, Vol. 133 Issue 2716, p8
Focuses on the possible effect of underfunding private sector pension plans in the U.S. Suggested solution to the problem; Significance of removing taxpayers as guarantors.
- 3 Kennecott â€” encourages cross training. Louiseize, Kelly // Northern Ontario Business;Oct2006, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p12
The article features Kennecott Canada Exploration, a diamond research assay laboratory company in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Full-time and contractual workers have been retained at the company's laboratories through flexibility and cross training. Manager Juanita Bellinger explains the remuneration...
- Senators seek more detail on pensions. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;6/27/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 26, p3
The article presents information on the U.S. Senate Finance Committee's pension plans. Two key members of the Senate Finance Committee are sending letters to three-dozen companies they say have the nation's most severely underfunded pension plans seeking more information on those plans. The...
- CALIFORNIA: San Diego's Felony Case. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;9/14/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32713, p9
The article reports on the felony conflict of interest case against six persons who were members of the San Diego City Employees' Retirement System Board of Trustees. The persons involved include former city treasurer Mary Vattimo and former auditor Terri Webster, face state felony conflict of...