Using direct observations on multiple occasions to measure household food availability among low-income Mexicano residents in Texas colonias
- to your health the right direction. Katz, Billy; Ellis, Hudson // Saint Charles Avenue;Oct2007, p56
The article offers tips that will help individuals maintain a healthy diet and nutrition. These include eating six meals per day which will help increase the body's metabolism and maintain energy, consider the appropriate sizes of food to be eaten, and taking supplements which is significant in...
- METHODOLOGIC CONSIDERATIONS IN THE STUDY OF DIET AS PART OF COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE MODALITIES. Zander, Mary E. S.; Wargovich, Michael J.; Hebert, James R. // Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine;Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p56
Diet is an essential component of most comprehensive health systems. Food figures prominently in the consciousness of most individuals, and the sensations of taste and smell are fundamentally important in human emotion. Complex configurations of dietary sanctions and strictures exist in...
- The silent alarm. Tennesen, Michael // Natural Health;Jul/Aug2004, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p48
The article presents information on the diet, supplements and proactive approach a person needs to keep liver strong and healthy. The liver makes proteins that regulate blood clotting, neutralizes toxins in the blood, produces immune agents to fight infection, generates bile to help digest fats,...
- Health: Edible advice. Ahmed, Farooq // Nature;12/23/2010 Supplement, Vol. 468 Issue 7327, pS10
The article presents studies regarding foods and their link to diet-related diseases. It mentions the efforts of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) in determining the connection between the increasing risk of acquiring heart diseases to diet and suggests to...
- NUTRITION 101: Magnificent Elements. // Body Bulletin;Jan2002, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p3
Presents the seven basic elements for healthy and well-balanced diet of the person in the United States. Function of the nutrients in the human body; List of principal carbohydrates to supply energy for cell formation; Total percentage of protein calories the person need a day.
- Tips for staying healthy. // Charlotte Post;12/19/2013, Vol. 39 Issue 15, p4B
In this article, dietitians and authors Lyssie Lakatos and Tammy Lakatos Shames offers tips for staying healthy which include drinking seltzer, iced green tea or water with lime, regular exercises and eating high-fiber carbohydrate such as fresh fruit, oatmeal or whole-grain crispbread.
- One a day--or none a day? // Consumer Reports on Health;Feb2010, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p1
The article focuses on the efficiency of vitamins and mineral supplements in preventing certain kinds of diseases in the U.S. It argues that most studies have suggested that vitamin and mineral pills have failed to prevent Alzheimer's disease, cancer, and heart attacks. It also indicates that...
- DO YOU REALLY NEED A SUPPLEMENT? // Good Health (Australia Edition);Feb2013, p64
The article focuses on whether supplementary vitamins and minerals are necessary. General practitioner (GP) Vicki Kotsirilos agrees that adequate nutrients for most people is provided by a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes, lean meat and chicken, fish, nuts and dairy foods. It is noted...
- Fight Cancer and Heart Disease with Healthy Food, Not Antioxidant Pills. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Dec2004, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p7
Provides information on a report on the potential of antioxidant supplements to increase mortality. Comparison between the heart-protective effects of antioxidant supplements and a healthy diet; Impact of high doses of individual nutrients on health.