Turning the crisis around
- British pound. // Futures: News, Analysis & Strategies for Futures, Options & Deri;Jan1997, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p26
Presents information on the 7.8% rise in the British pound against the United States dollar to $1.68 on November 21st. Increase by $1.56 on October 4th 1996; Comments from David Abramson, managing editor of ForexCast; Expectations that the pound will continue to rise.
- Pound pessimism is unwarranted. Abramson, David L. // Futures: News, Analysis & Strategies for Futures, Options & Deri;Nov97, Vol. 26 Issue 13, p26
Focuses on the value of the British pound in the first half of 1997. Correlation between the pound/D-mark rate and the dollar/D-mark rate; Effect of the Bank of England policies and the British economy on the pound; Short-term interest rates offered by the pound than the D-mark and Euro.
- How Long? // Time;6/24/1966, Vol. 87 Issue 25, p96
The article reports on the crisis and devaluation of British pound in the international market. Accordingly, the reasons for the crisis include the impact of the strike organized by British seamen on inflationary pay increase, failure of Great Britain to moderate its balance-of-payments deficit,...
- Goldman: Independence could trigger euro-style crisis for UK. Morris, Pamela // Fundweb;9/4/2014, p5
The article reports on the concern expressed by Kevin Daly, senior economist at the investment banking firm Goldman Sachs & Co., over the economic impact of the potential independence of Scotland. Daly says that the uncertaintly of the country's currency if it became independent may result in a...
- Pounds, Dollars, and Francs. Bratter, Herbert // Banking;Jan68, Vol. 60 Issue 7, p39
Deals with the decision of the British Labor Government to devaluate the pound sterling on November 18, 1967. Factor attributed to the devaluation of the pound; Discussion on the participation of France in the International Monetary Fund standby credit to Britain which was completed after the...
- VALUE OF STERLING. // Accountancy;Oct98, Vol. 122 Issue 1262, p57
Presents data on the value of the British sterling pound against major foreign currencies from September 1997 to June 1998.
- The pound's fluctuating fortunes. // Management Today;Apr96, p78
Presents information on the pound fluctuation from the 1965 to 1996 period. Fluctuation in the pound sterling as a result of change in precious metal coins; Longest records of exchange rates exist for the pound against the dollar; Rise in the pound as a result of the stability of the early 19th...
- British Sterling. // World Trade;Dec2001, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p20
Focuses on the valuation of the British Â£ in 2002. Impact of the World Trade Center terrorist attack on September 11, 2001 on its valuation; Point cut received by the British Â£ on the Monetary Policy Committee; Probable rate of the British Â£ against the euro over the next four years.
- Manufacturing industry faces meltdown. // Credit Control;2000, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p28
Reports on the possible meltdown of the manufacturing industry in Great Britain. Reasons for the possible meltdown; Number of manufacturing jobs lost since 1998; Possible effect of the delay in reducing the level of sterling.