FOR MAJOR CROPS: Processed vegetable acreage down 10%
- Grow Great Salads Year-round. Battle, Patryk // Mother Earth News;Aug/Sep2006, Issue 217, p62
The article offers tips in planting, growing, cultivating and harvesting green vegetables. The most reliable sources of coldhardy greens are plants that have had at least one season to develop extensive root systems. The stalwarts of winter gardens include kale, collards, spinach, winter-hardy...
- from seed to table. Stewart, Angus // Australian Table;Oct2004, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p146
Lists varieties of vegetable seeds which can be planted directly to a garden. Pumpkin; Sweet corn; Melons.
- Strategies To Improve Soil Properties. Brainard, Daniel; Henshaw, Ben // American Vegetable Grower;May2011, Vol. 59 Issue 5, p12
The article examines the advantages and concerns in using strip tillage for growing sweet corn. Using strip tillage method brings savings in fuel and labor cost, reduces the wear and tear of machines and brings better timely planting. The method can also be beneficial to other crops in the...
- MAY/JUNE. Richter, Skip // Texas Gardener;May/Jun2006, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p6
The section provides information about planting and harvesting for May-June 2006. For sweet corn, start with the general fertilizer applications prior to planting. For cantaloupe, squashes and okra it is recommended that they be planted by the end of the month to get a good harvest. In summer,...
- Fennel. Wilde, Barbara; Galloway, Willie Evans // Organic Gardening;Apr2007, Vol. 54 Issue 3., p26
The article offers a guide for growing Florence fennel in the spring. The guide includes soil preparation, planting, growing, and harvesting. Florence fennel has an extensive taproot. Seeds should be planted indoors before spring gardening begins. The soil should be kept moist. Fennel leaves can...
- Successful Sweet Corn. LEANDER, PATTY GLENN // Texas Gardener;Mar/Apr2011, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p14
The article offers a guide for home gardeners to growing corn. It explains why corn requires more space than other vegetables. It describes the process of pollination and cultivation of corn. It offers tips on dealing with worm invasion. It outlines the steps in harvesting corn. Information is...
- A Walk Through the Late Summer Garden. Vivian, John // Mother Earth News;Aug/Sep99, Issue 175, p76
Features techniques on how to grow plants and prolong their productivity. Tips on watering of plant soil; Ways of harvesting tomatoes; How to cut broccoli plants; Hints on pole beans harvesting; Options on preserving excess harvested vegetables.
- Plant veggies now for fall harvest. // Free Press (Buda, TX);7/12/2006, Vol. 103 Issue 13, special section p3
Offers tips in planting and harvesting vegetables. List of vegetables and varieties which could be replanted for a fall harvest; Vegetables that can be grown in containers; Organic remedy for grasshoppers.
- Clippings. French, Jackie // Australian Women's Weekly;Nov2012, Vol. 82 Issue 11, p262
The article offers tips on gardening. It discusses the benefits of gardening including daily harvesting of vegetables, enhancing and relaxing the mood due to green scenery, and doing workout by planting, picking, and mowing to treat health problems. Stargazer Joanne Madeline Moore suggests that...