Preparing for the Unexpected
- Making the Proper Choice in Smoke Detector Technology. // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Apr2004, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p39
Advises on choosing smoke detection technology for a monitored alarm system. Operation of photoelectric detectors by detecting visible particles of smoke; Appropriateness of ionization detectors for computer rooms and electrical closets; Determination of the proper detector type by considering...
- Fire Protection Seminar Sponsored. // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Jan2005, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p18
The article informs that Trans-Alarm Inc.. Burnsville. Minnesota, cosponsored an all-day training event on fire protection. Trans-Alarm, founded in 1966 is a provider of security systems, system integration, alarm monitoring and lock and door control. "The Basics of UL-listed Fire Alarm Systems"...
- Controlling Smoke-Management Systems. Vaughn, Allyn J. // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Jul2003 Supplement, Vol. 42, p48
Discusses the decision-making process used to determine whether a fire alarm or building automation system should be used to control a smoke management system. Design of smoke management systems; Automatic activation of smoke management systems; Components of smoke management systems.
- SUPERSMART SMOKE DETECTORS. // Time International (South Pacific Edition);7/11/2006, Issue 27, p71
The article presents information on smoke detectors that allow battery-powered detectors to share information when a potential fire is brewing. The Kidde Wireless System includes a detector and the SmokeSounder add-on alarm, which features a tower-frequency siren for the hearing-impaired and...
- What's that noise? Broughton, Mike; Choppen, Bob; Jones, Vivian; Stockwell, Nigel // Fire Safety Engineering;Nov2003, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p11
Argues that there is a need for a standard alarm tone or tones reserved for fire alarm use. Role played by audible signals; Indication of the widespread use of audible alarms; Approach to standards for fire detection and alarm systems in the country.
- FIRE PRODUCT NEWS. // International Fire & Security Product News;Jun2004, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p24
Introduces several fire detection and fire prevention systems. Features of the alarm sounders from Klaxon Signals; Categories of the spill containment and control products developed by Kidde Fire Protection Services; Door retainer range from Vimpex.
- Maritime History Benefits from wire-free Protection. // Fire Safety Engineering;May2006, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p52
The article presents information on the restoration of the steam ship, ss Great Britain, through attraction, EMS Group's 5000 FirePoint radio analogue addressable fire detection system. The system consists of 5 control panels and 190 devices. The expensive site-wide cabling is eliminated through...
- A charter for whistleblowers. Hanley, Tony // Fire Safety Engineering;Jun2005, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p40
The article presents the author's opinions on fire prevention and detection systems in Great Britain. Having been in the fire prevention industry for over 20 years, I am concerned at the increasing number of fire alarm installations (that were originally installed with the intention of...
- GUIDE TO FIRE ALARM DETECTORS. Hammerberg, Thomas P. // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Oct2006, Vol. 36 Issue 10, p79
The article provides information about fire alarm detectors and its applications. There are two kinds of fire alarm systems including the non-addressable fire alarm and the smart system. The most basic fire alarm initiating device is the manual pull station which uses mechanical switches that...