Some food prices heading 20% higher
- Soybean bids see sharp losses. // High Plains Journal;9/19/2011, Vol. 129 Issue 38, p2-C
The article reports on reduced export sales of the U.S. food crops and decline in the bid prices of various food grains with soybeans showing maximum losses.
- Coffee Nerves. // Time;6/26/1950, Vol. 55 Issue 26, p32
The article discusses the protest of Latin American countries over the U.S. Senate subcommittee's allegations that they have been manipulating the price of coffee. Countries like Brazil, Colombia, and Nicaragua have expressed criticism against the U.S. Senate's undiplomatic suggestions to force...
- A bonanza maybe... for a few perhaps. Carr, Stephen // Crops;5/10/2008, p26
The article focuses the author's views on hike in commodity prices of grains in Great Britain. It is mentioned that the staggering and relentless inflation in arable farmers' costs is a major concern as compared to the vulnerability of arable commodity prices. The author says that wheat prices...
- BPC seeks halt to biofuels. // Poultry World;Oct2012, Vol. 166 Issue 10, p5
The article reports that the British Poultry Council (BPC) has endorsed a call by the French government for a pause in the global development of biofuel in an attempt to ease feed prices, stressing that the use of food crops for biofuels instead of farming has a direct impact on food prices.
- Wheat prices drop, but so do fuel costs. Bentley, Ryan // Wenatchee Business Journal;Jan2009, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p22
The article reports on the condition of the wheat industry in Waterville, Washington. Kevin Whitehall, general manager of the Central Washington Grain Growers, says that the snow insulated the emerging crop from the arctic temperatures. However, wheat prices dropped in 2008. Although wheat shot...
- EU backs deal to limit use of food-based biofuels. // Energy Today (Hungary);5/29/2014, p3
The article reports that leaders of the European Union (EU) are supporting a proposal to limit biofuel production from food crops to 5 percent due to concerns that food-based biofuels lead to higher food prices and causes environmental issues.
- prices digest. // Grocer;7/26/2014, Vol. 237 Issue 8165, p18
The article offers an update on the prices of several food crops at commodity exchanges as of July 26, 2014, including oranges.
- Purple Passion. Kepp, Mike // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;5/20/2006, Vol. 191 Issue 108, p77
The article presents information on mangosteen, one of Brazil's most sought-after fruits. The small, dark purple orb, roughly half the size of an apple, is capped by an ornate four-leaf-clover-shaped calyx, or cup-shaped cavity, from which the fruit springs. It is found in the Amazon and has two...
- Kenyan tea prices staying high due to tight supplies. // Grocer;8/14/2015, p16
This section offers news briefs pertaining to commodity prices as of August 14, 2015 including the prevailing prices of Kenyan tea, Thai rice, and French maize.