Expression of the Hydrogen Peroxide-Generating Enzyme Fatty Acyl CoA Oxidase Activates NF-kappa B
- Using Laser Scanning Cytometry to Measure PPAR-Mediated Peroxisome Proliferation and ï¿½ Oxidation. Pruimboom-Brees, Ingrid M.; Brees, Dominique J. J. E.; Shen, Amy C.; Keener, Mary; Francone, Omar; Amacher, David E.; Loy, James K.; Kerlin, Roy L. // Toxicologic Pathology;2005, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p86
Laser scanning cytometry (LSC) is a new technology that combines the properties and advantages of flow cytometry (FC) and immunohistochemistry (IHC), thus providing qualitative and quantitative information on protein expression with the additional perspective provided by cell and tissue...
- The ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme Pex4p of Hansenula polymorpha is required for efficient functioning of the PTS1 import machinery. der Klei, Ida J.; Hilbrands, Reinder E.; Kiel, Jan A. K. W.; Rasmussen, Soeren W.; Cregg, James M.; Veenhuis, Marten // EMBO Journal;7/1/98, Vol. 17 Issue 13, p3608
We have cloned the Hansenula polymorpha PEX4 gene by functional complementation of a peroxisomeÂdeficient mutant. The PEX4 translation product, Pex4p, is a member of the ubiquitinÂconjugating enzyme family. In H.polymorpha, Pex4p is a constitutive, low abundance protein. Both the original...
- Temperature sensitive acyl-CoA oxidase import in group A peroxisome biogenesis disorders. Imamura, Atsushi; Shimozawa, Nobuyuki; Suzuki, Yasuyuki; Zhongyi Zhang; Tsukamoto, Toshiro; Orii, Tadao; Osumi, Takashi; Kondo, Naomi // Journal of Medical Genetics;Dec2001, Vol. 38 Issue 12, p871
Presents a letter to the editor about the role of temperature sensitive acyl-CoA oxidase import in group A peroxisome biogenesis disorders.
- Two alanine aminotranferases link mitochondrial glycolate oxidation to the major photorespiratory pathway in Arabidopsis and rice. Niessen, Markus; Krause, Katrin; Horst, Ina; Staebler, Norma; Klaus, Stephanie; Gaertner, Stefanie; Kebeish, Rashad; Araujo, Wagner L.; Fernie, Alisdair R.; Peterhansel, Christoph // Journal of Experimental Botany;Jul2012, Vol. 63 Issue 7, p2705
The major photorespiratory pathway in higher plants is distributed over chloroplasts, mitochondria, and peroxisomes. In this pathway, glycolate oxidation takes place in peroxisomes. It was previously suggested that a mitochondrial glycolate dehydrogenase (GlcDH) that was conserved from green...
- Undernutrition during suckling in rats elevates plasma adiponectin and its receptor in skeletal muscle regardless of diet composition: a protective effect? Prior, L. J.; Velkoska, E.; Watts, R.; Cameron-Smith, D.; Morris, M. J. // International Journal of Obesity;Oct2008, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p1585
Objective:Nutrition during critical periods in early life may increase the subsequent risk of obesity, hypertension and metabolic diseases in adulthood. Few studies have focused on the long-term consequences of poor nutrition during the suckling period on the susceptibility to developing obesity...
- tyrosinase. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2396
An encyclopedia entry for "tyrosinase," an enzyme that acts on tyrosine to produce melanin, is presented.
- Crystal structure of a plant catechol oxidase containing a dicopper center. Klabunde, Thomas; Eicken, Christoph; Sacchettini, James C.; Krebs, Bernt // Nature Structural Biology;Dec98, Vol. 5 Issue 12, p1084
Catechol oxidases are ubiquitous plant enzymes containing a dinuclear copper center. In the wound-response mechanism of the plant they catalyze the oxidation of a broad range of ortho-diphenols to the corresponding o-quinones coupled with the reduction of oxygen to water. The crystal structures...
- Progress Towards the Discovery of Xanthine Oxidase Inhibitors. Borges, F.; Fernandes, E.; Roleira, F. // Current Medicinal Chemistry;Jan2002, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p195
Xanthine oxidase (XO) is a highly versatile flavoprotein enzyme, ubiquitous among species (from bacteria to human) and within the various tissues of mammals. The enzyme catalyses the oxidative hydroxylation of purine substrates at the molybdenum centre (the reductive half-reaction) and...
- tyrosinase:. Schlegel, Rolf H. J. // Encyclopedic Dictionary of Plant Breeding & Related Subjects;2003, p423
A definition of the term "tyrosinase" is presented. It refers to an enzyme that converts tyrosine to dopa and oxidizes this to dopa quinone.