Super bug colonizations rise at McGill University Health Centre
- There's A New Weapon To Combat Superbugs. Wolfe, Suzanne // RN;Jul2000, Vol. 63 Issue 7, p94
Provides information on the drug linezolid that has been approved for the treatment of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium, pneumonia and skin infections. Prevention of the multiplication of gram-positive bacteria through the stopping of production of proteins essential to their growth;...
- Prosthetic Valve Endocarditis Due to Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus faecium: Treatment with Chloramphenicol plus Minocycline. Safdar, Amar; Bryan, Charles S.; Stinson, Shawn; Saunders Jr., Donald E. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;6/1/2002, Vol. 34 Issue 11, pe61
Reports a case of prosthetic valve endocarditis and persistent bacteremia due to vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (VREF). Prevalence of VREF infection in the U.S.; Result of the initial therapy with vancomycin; Blood samples obtained during quinupristin-dalfopristin therapy.
- Lack of Efficacy of Oral Bacitracin Plus Doxycycline for the Eradication of Stool Colonization with Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus faecium. Weinstein, Mitchell R.; Dedier, Helen; Brunton, James; Campbell, Iivi; Conly, John M. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;8/1/1999, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p361
Evaluates the role of oral bacitracin solution plus doxycycline in the eradication of intestinal carriage of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium. Characteristics of antibiotic-treated patients; Carrier status per assessment based on rectal swab or stool culture at the end of the follow-up...
- Bone marrow transplantation program opens at the Brooklyn Hospital Center. // New York Amsterdam News;6/3/95, Vol. 86 Issue 22, p18
Reports on the Brooklyn Hospital Center in New York City's launching of a program in bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. Ribbon-cutting ceremony; Efforts to improve the prognosis for the people of Brooklyn; Information on transplantation.
- Transplant Centers Increasingly Adopt Banff Schema. // Kidney;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p268
Presents an abstract of the study 'Transplant Centers Increasingly Adopt Banff Schema,' by L.W. Gaber et al published in a 1998 issue of 'Transplantation.'
- Johns Hopkins surgeons perform "triple-swap" kidney transplant. // Transplant News;Aug2013, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p7
The article offers information on the triple-swap kidney transplant performed by a team of transplant surgeons at Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Transplant Center in Baltimore, Maryland, which involved an 11-hour procedure to dialysis patients who are evaluated for a kidney transplant.
- Vancomycin-resistant enterococcal bacteraemia: is daptomycin as effective as linezolid? Mave, Vidya; Garcia-Diaz, Julia; Islam, Tareq; Hasbun, Rodrigo // Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (JAC);Jul2009, Vol. 64 Issue 1, p175
Background The treatment of vancomycin-resistant enterococcal (VRE) bacteraemia remains challenging. Daptomycin is a new antibiotic with bactericidal activity against VRE, but available clinical data are limited. Methods A retrospective study was performed on 98 adult patients with VRE...
- Emergence of Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci. Rice, Louis B. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Mar/Apr2001, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p183
Vancomycin and ampicillin resistance in clinical Enterococcus faecium strains has developed in the past decade. Failure to adhere to strict infection control to prevent the spread of these pathogens has been well established. New data implicate the use of specific classes of antimicrobial agents...
- Wankomycynooporne enterokoki - charakterystyka zagrozen i perspektyw terapeutycznych. Szachta, Patrycja; Pazgrat, Michalina; Ignys, Iwona; Cichy, Wojciech // Gastroenterologia Polska / Gastroenterology;2008, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p251
Vancomycin resistant enterococci (VRE) are nowadays one of the major nosocomial pathogens. Removal of VRE from infected hospital environment is extremely difficult, mostly because of VRE ability to acquire high-level resistance to antibiotics. Resistant enterococci are also able to exchange...