CLINICAL CONSULTATION. Commonly prescribed medications and potential false-positive urine drug screens
- Anatomy of an Epidemic: Psychiatric Drugs and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America. Whitaker, Robert // Ethical Human Psychology & Psychiatry;Spring2005, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p23
Over the past 50 years, there has been an astonishing increase in severe mental illness in the United States. The percentage of Americans disabled by mental illness has increased fivefold since 1955, when Thorazine--remembered today as psychiatry's first "wonder" drug--was introduced into the...
- Discriminative stimulus properties of the atypical antipsychotic clozapine and the typical antipsychotic chlorpromazine in a three-choice drug discrimination procedure in rats. Porter, Joseph H.; Prus, Adam J.; Vann, Robert E.; Varvel, Stephen A. // Psychopharmacology;Feb2005, Vol. 178 Issue 1, p67
Rationale: The atypical antipsychotic drug (APD) clozapine elicits a robust discriminative cue that is generally selective for other atypical APDS in two-choice drug discrimination (DD) procedures. Objectives: The present study determined whether a three-choice DD procedure with the atypical APD...
- From Chlorpromazine to Clozapine -- Antipsychotic Adverse Effects and the Clinician's Dilemma. Abidi, Sabina; Bhaskara, Sreenivasa M. // Canadian Journal of Psychiatry;Dec2003, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p749
The pharmacotherapy of schizophrenia remains an ongoing challenge for researchers and clinicians alike. Current medications remain suboptimal to effectively treat this illness despite the recent surge of what are considered to be better antipsychotics: the atypicals. The atypicals cause fewer...
- Simultaneous Determination of 25 Common Pharmaceuticals in Whole Blood Using Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Nielsen, Marie Katrine Kiose; Johansen, Sys Stybe // Journal of Analytical Toxicology;Sep2012, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p497
The article discusses the development of an ultra-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for quantifying 25 pharmaceuticals in blood. These pharmaceuticals consist the most frequently detected drugs in a forensic laboratory with properties such as antidepressants,...
- Monitoring the Safe Use of Clozapine: A Consensus View from Victoria, Australia. Berk, Michael; Fitzsimons, Joanna; Lambert, Timothy; Pantelis, Christos; Kulkarni, Jayashri; Castle, David; Ryan, Elizabeth W.; Jespersen, Sean; McGorry, Pat; Berger, Gregor; Kuluris, Bill; Callaly, Tom; Dodd, Seetal // CNS Drugs;2007, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p117
Clozapine is an important antipsychotic agent that has a unique profile of clinical benefits, but that has also been associated with several serious and potentially life-threatening safety concerns. In order to minimise the impact of haematological adverse events, health professionals treating...
- Unlocking psychosis. Turner, Trevor // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);Jan2007 Supplement, Vol. 334, ps7
This article discusses the rise of psychopharmacology with experimentation with antihistamines in 1949. The drug, chlorpromazine, was synthesized from the phenothiazine group of the antihistamines. Clinical trials with the drugs produced psychiatric wards that were transformed and contacts with...
- Are antihistamines safe? Reinhart, Richard O.; Gilbert, Gordon A. // Business & Commercial Aviation;Apr98, Vol. 82 Issue 4, p48
Focuses on the safety regulations of antihistamines, used in a variety of over the counter (OTC) medications. Information on the side effects; Insight to a study carried out; Results of the study.
- Claritin Receives OTC Status. // Chemical Market Reporter;12/2/2002, Vol. 262 Issue 20, p4
Reports on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's approval of the over-the-counter sales of Claritin antihistamine from Schering-Plough Corp. Non-drowsy allergy relief offered by Claritin; Drug safety; Costs.
- Best Pharmacy Picks for Whatever Ails You. // U.S. News Digital Weekly;6/27/2014, Vol. 6 Issue 26, p12
Statistics are given regarding the over-the-counter recommendations for different pharmacy products including acid reducers, acne products, antibiotics, antihistamines and pain relievers.