Types of Parent Verbal Responsiveness That Predict Language in Young Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Performance of Verbal Autistic Children Relating to Semantic Intentions and Relations. Shetty, Rohila; Subbarao, T. A.; Hariharan, Aparna // Language in India;Jan2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p292
This article discusses a study which examined the semantic intentions and relations in a group of verbal autistic children from India. The study revealed that there is no overall limitation in the communication attempt in conversational tasks, but there is a difference among the mental age...
- Behavioral and Physiological Responses to Child-Directed Speech as Predictors of Communication Outcomes in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Watson, Linda R.; Baranek, Grace T.; Roberts, Jane E.; David, Fabian J.; Perryman, Twyla Y. // Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research;Aug2010, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p1052
Purpose: To determine the extent to which behavioral and physiological responses during child-directed speech (CDS) correlate concurrently and predictively with communication skills in young children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Method: Twenty-two boys with ASD (initial mean age: 35...
- ASHA reviews: Books. Lynch, Joan I. // ASHA;May94, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p45
Reviews the book `MacArthur Communicative Developmental Inventories,' by L. Fenson, P.S. Dale, J.S. Reznick, D. Thal, E. Bates, J.P. Hartung, S. Pethick and J.S. Reilly.
- Congenitally Deafblind Children and Cochlear Implants: Effects on Communication. Dammeyer, Jesper // Journal of Deaf Studies & Deaf Education;Spring2009, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p278
There has been much research conducted demonstrating the positive benefits of cochlear implantation (CI) in children who are deaf. Research on CI in children who are both deaf and blind, however, is lacking. The purpose of this article is to present a study of five congenitally deaffilind...
- Don't GIVE UP. Birt, Liz; Lopez, Maurice // Mothering;May/Jun2000, Issue 100, p53
Focuses on efforts of the parents of autistic child Matthew to find treatment to their child's disorder in Chicago, Illinois. Occurrence of Matthew's autism; Medical examinations undergone to determine the cause of the disorder; Medical condition of Matthew; Encouragement for other parents to...
- Parent Education for Families of Children with Autism Living in Geographically Distant Areas. Koegel, Robert L.; Symon, Jennifer B.; Koegel, Lynn Kern // Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions;Spring2002, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p88
Focuses on the parent education for families of children with autism living in geographically distant areas. Accessibility of specialized services for children; Efforts to improve social communication; Details on the parent implementation of target behaviors.
- Vindicating the parents... Stark, Elizabeth // Psychology Today;Mar84, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p14
The article presents information about a psychological test to compare 49 parents of autistic children with a control group of parents of nonautistic children.
- Jealous of special-needs sib. // Parenting;Oct2008, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p52
The article provides an answer to a question on how to make a child understand the equality of parents' love for them whether they are autistic or not.
- Letters to the Editor. Tissot, Cathy // Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders;Aug1999, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p345
Presents letters to the editor discussing parental rights to fight for what they feel is appropriate for their child with autism or other related disorders and other issues related to pervasive developmental disorders.