Prejudice and misconceptions about tuberculosis and HIV in rural and urban communities in Ethiopia: a challenge for the TB/HIV control program
- TB infection among staff at Tygerberg Academic Hospital, south Africa. Eshun-Wilson, I.; Zeier, M. D.; Taljaard, J. J.; Barnes, J. // Southern African Journal of Epidemiology & Infection;2008, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p17
This study was undertaken in order to characterise the occurrence, clinical spectrum and treatment outcomes of tuberculosis (TB) infection among staff at Tygerberg Academic Hospital over an 11-year period. A retrospective analysis was performed of all patients presenting to the occupational...
- What is TB disease? // Tuberculosis: Getting Healthy, Staying Healthy;Jun2008, Issue 8, p9
The article provides an answer to a question of what is the nature of the tuberculosis (TB) disease.
- How can my doctor tell if I have TB disease? // Tuberculosis: Getting Healthy, Staying Healthy;Jun2008, Issue 8, p11
The article provides an answer to a question of how physicians will determine if the patient has tuberculosis (TB) disease.
- Characterization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Central Asian Strain1 using mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit genotyping. Ali, Asho; Hasan, Zahra; Tanveer, Mahnaz; Siddiqui, Amna R.; Ghebremichael, Solomon; Kallenius, Gunilla; Hasan, Rumina // BMC Microbiology;2007, Vol. 7, p1
Background: The Central Asian Strain1 (CAS1) genogroup of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) is the most prevalent in Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. Mycobacterial interspersed repetitive units variable number tandem repeat (MIRU-VNTR) typing is a reliable and reproducible method for...
- Genetic Diversity of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing Family Based on SNP and VNTR Typing Profiles in Asian Countries. Yih-Yuan Chen; Jia-Ru Chang; Wei-Feng Huang; Shu-Chen Kuo; Ih-Jen Su; Jun-Ren Sun; Tzong-Shi Chiueh; Tsi-Shu Huang; Yao-Shen Chen; Horng-Yunn Dou // PLoS ONE;Jul2012, Vol. 7 Issue 7, p1
The Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) Beijing strain is highly virulent, drug resistant, and endemic over Asia. To explore the genetic diversity of this family in several different regions of eastern Asia, 338 Beijing strains collected in Taiwan (Republic of China) were analyzed by mycobacterial...
- Potential Impact of the US President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief on the Tuberculosis/HIV Coepidemic in Selected Sub-Saharan African Countries. Lima, Viviane D.; Granich, Reuben; Phillips, Peter; Williams, Brian; Montaner, Julio S. G. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;Dec2013, Vol. 208 Issue 12, p2075
Background. There are limited data measuring the impact of expanded human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention activities on the tuberculosis epidemic at the country level. Here, we characterized the potential impact of the US President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) on the...
- Plenary Lectures. // Annals of Clinical Biochemistry;Jan2006 Supplement, Vol. 43, p1
Biosensors in medicine. C Lowe, Cambridge. 1 Molecular therapy for diabetes. L Chan, Houston, USA. 1 C-reactive protein and cardiovascular risk. N Rifai, Boston, USA. 1 The role of gut hormones in obesity and appetite regulation. C le Roux, London. 2 Good and bad for the bone. W D Fraser,...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing Genotype, the Netherlands. Borgdorff, Martien W.; de Haas, Petra; Kremer, Kristin; van Soolingen, Dick // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Oct2003, Vol. 9 Issue 10, p1310
To determine whether the Beijing genotype of Mycobacterium tuberculosis is emerging in the Netherlands, we collected data on 6,829 patients during 1993 to 2000. Six percent had the Beijing genotype. This genotype was associated with diagnosis in recent years, young age, nationality, and...
- Brief Report: Tuberculosis Outbreak in a Low-Incidence Stateâ€”Indiana, 2001-2004. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;1/19/2005, Vol. 293 Issue 3, p290
Reports on the low incidence of tuberculosis (TB) in Indiana between 2001-2004. Statistics; Investigated cases; Tracking of patients.