Automatic evaluation of body-related words among young women: an experimental study
- Body-image Assessment: A Review and Evaluation of a New Computer-aided Measurement Technique. Cullari, Salvatore; Vosburgh, Michelle; Shotwell, Amber; Inzodda, Julien; Davenport, Wendi // North American Journal of Psychology;2002, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p221
Presents information on a study that investigated a procedure for assessing body-image. Methodology of the study; Results and discussion on the study.
- Plastic is not fantastic! Kamaleddine, Samera // Dolly;Jan2005, Issue 411, p119
Comments on the pressure faced by teenage girls regarding body image.
- WHAT did She Call Me? Citroën, Lida // Going Bonkers;Winter2009, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p16
The article discusses the importance of self branding. Uniqueness and authenticity are the main focus of an effective branding and according to the author, it is important to start with one's strengths and uniqueness when coming up with one's own personal brand. Once a person has found the brand...
- body image. Peters, Michael // BMA A-Z Family Medical Encyclopedia;2004, p113
An encyclopedia entry for "body image" is presented. The term refers to an individual's perception of the different parts of his or her own body.
- Assessment of adolescent body perception: Development and characterization of a novel tool for morphing images of adolescent bodies. Aleong, Rosanne; Duchesne, Simon; Paus, Tomáš // Behavior Research Methods;Aug2007, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p651
We developed a computer-based method of distorting adolescent body images, which incorporates the covariation between body parts found during growth and sexual maturation. An Adolescent Body-Shape Database (AdoBSD) and Adolescent Body Morphing Tool (AdoBMT) are described; the AdoBSD comprises...
- Promoting a Healthy Body Image Through Physical Activity. Markuha, Pirkko // Research Update;Jun2007, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p1
The article provides a research update regarding the promotion of a healthy body image through physical activity. The author points out the fact that negative thoughts about one's body create body dissatisfaction and can cause body image distortion. He then offers practical applications on body...
- The Measure of Men. Douthat, Ross; Henry, Terrence; Poe, Marshall // Atlantic;Jun2005, Vol. 295 Issue 5, p46
The article reports on a study of Taiwanese men, which found that they are more comfortable with their appearance than men in Western countries, who, when asked to pick the male body type they think women find most attractive, tend to select one that is about twenty pounds more muscled-up than...
- The Concept of Body Image and the Remediation of Body Image Disorders. Blom, Gaston E.; Farley, Gordon K.; Guthals, Carl // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Sep1970, Vol. 3 Issue 9, p440
This article is an introduction to the concept of body image. The development of body image is discussed and an operational definition of body image is provided. Methods of assessing body image are discussed and a case example demonstrating the treatment of distortions of body image is given....
- Negative Body Image and Disordered Eating Behavior in Children and Adolescents: What Places Youth at Risk and How Can These Problems be Prevented? Littleton, Heather L.; Ollendick, Thomas // Clinical Child & Family Psychology Review;Mar2003, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p51
In this review, we examine the prevalence of negative body image and disordered eating behaviors (i.e., excessive dieting, binge eating, inappropriate weight loss techniques) in children and adolescents. We also explore correlates and predictors of the development of these problems, including...