A telephone survey of parental attitudes and behaviours regarding teenage drinking
- Description of a Behavioral Intervention to Reduce Substance Use and Related Risk and Increase Positive Parenting among Urban Mothers with Alcohol and Other Drug Problems. Leonard, Noelle R.; Gwadz, Marya V.; Arredondo, Gricel N.; Riedel, Marion; Rotko, Lauren; Hardcastle, Emily J.; Potere, Jodi C. // Journal of Child & Family Studies;Aug2007, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p531
The abuse of alcohol and other substances by mothers raising adolescent children has serious adverse effects on family functioning and youth outcomes, and on mothersâ€™ own health and adaptation. Mothers who are also HIV-infected face additional challenges. In the present report, we...
- Parental problem drinking, parenting, and adolescent alcohol use. Zwaluw, Carmen; Scholte, Ron; Vermulst, Ad; Buitelaar, Jan; Verkes, Robbert; Engels, Rutger // Journal of Behavioral Medicine;Jun2008, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p189
The present study examined whether parental problem drinking affected parenting (i.e., behavioral control, support, rule-setting, alcohol-specific behavioral control), and whether parental problem drinking and parenting affected subsequent adolescent alcohol use over time. A total of 428...
- Parental and Peer Influence on Adolescents. Biddle, Bruce J.; Bank, Barbara J.; Marlin, Marjorie M. // Social Forces;Jun80, Vol. 58 Issue 4, p1057
ABSTRACT Prior studies have come to various conclusions about the relative impact of parents and peers on adolescent behavior. Such studies have measured a wide variety of events that are presumed to indicate parental and peer pressures on adolescents and have presumed various ways in which...
- Parentsâ€™ Communication with Adolescents About Sexual Behavior: A Missed Opportunity for Prevention? Eisenberg, Marla E.; Sieving, Renee E.; Bearinger, Linda H.; Swain, Carolyne; Resnick, Michael D. // Journal of Youth & Adolescence;Dec2006, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p893
Parents may wait to talk to their teens about sexuality until they believe their child is in a romantic relationship. To examine this, telephone surveys were conducted with 1069 parents of adolescents. Measures assessed parentsâ€™ perception of teensâ€™ romantic involvement and...
- Warning police may prosecute. Bruce, David // Youth Studies Australia;Dec2002, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p45
Reports on the plan of Steve Baddock, constable of Kurow in New Zealand, to prosecute parents if they do not know where their child are and if they fail to ensure that they are properly supervised. Support expressed by Brent Rees, Kurow Area School principal, on Baddock's plan; Information on...
- Teenage abortion: Parents need to know. Nicholson, Martina // Medical Economics;3/21/2003, Vol. 80 Issue 6, p130
Comments that parents should be notified before a teenager can obtain abortion. Right of a parent to take full burden of support; Counselling of the adolescent; Acknowledgement of he need for accountability in sexual behavior.
- Helping Hands. McManus, Melanie Radzicki // Working Mother;Apr2001, p75
Presents a guide to age-appropriate tasks that parents should teach their children. Ages 2 and 3; Ages 4 to 6; Ages 7 to 11; Ages 12 to 17.
- Hey, Mom and Dad: Are We Cool? Rowh, Mark // Current Health 2;Feb2010, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p26
The article presents suggestions for teenagers on how to develop a healthy parent and child relationship.
- Negativity and adolescents. Shelton, Sandi Kahn // Working Mother;Jul96, p80
Reports that parents display negative behavior more often than teenagers. Increased expression of negativity among parents with increasing age of children; Stress of transition from childhood to adolescence for parents; Effect of negative comments from parents on teenage children.