Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers: Occurrence, Dietary Exposure, and Toxicology
- The PBDEs: An Emerging Environmental Challenge and Another Reason for Breast-Milk Monitoring Programs. Hooper, Kim; McDonald, Thomas A. // Environmental Health Perspectives;May2000, Vol. 108 Issue 5, p387
Reports on the levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE) in human breast milk and the relevance of breast milk monitoring programs. Usage, occurrence and toxicity of PBDE; Parallels between PBDE and other polyhalogenated persistent organic pollutants; Future environmental challenges posed...
- Organochlorine Pesticide Residues in Mothers' Milk in Uganda. Ejobi, F.; Kanja, L. W.; Kyule, M. N.; M�ller, P.; Kr�ger, J.; Latigo, A. A. R. // Bulletin of Environmental Contamination & Toxicology;Jun96, Vol. 56 Issue 6, p873
The article discusses the study regarding the identification of the levels of organochlorine pesticide residues in mother's milk, in Uganda. The study is intended to identify and quantify the levels of organochlorine residues, and assess the toxicological implications to health of the breast-fed...
- The accumulation of polybrominated biphenyls by fish Zitko, V. // Bulletin of Environmental Contamination & Toxicology;Mar1977, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p285
No abstract available.
- Different Levels of Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs) and Chlorinated Compounds in Breast Milk from Two U.K. Regions. Kalantzi, Olga I.; Martin, Francis L.; Thomas, Gareth O.; Alcock, Ruth E.; Tang, Huiru R.; Drury, Suzanne C.; Carmichael, Paul L.; Nicholson, Jeremy K.; Jones, Kevin C. // Environmental Health Perspectives;Jul2004, Vol. 112 Issue 10, p1085
Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) congeners are constituents of flame retardants, and there is growing concern regarding their persistence, bioaccumulation, and toxicity. We collected breast milk samples between late 2001 and early 2003 from 54 U.K.-resident mothers. Of these, 27 originated...
- High amounts of chemicals found in breast milk. Wise, Jacqui // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);05/24/97, Vol. 314 Issue 7093, p1505
Reports that breast milk contains high amounts of dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB). Toxic effects of high intake of PCB in laboratory animals; Agreement to phase out and destroy remaining PCBs; PCBs and dioxins in bottled fish liver oils.
- Mother's milk turns toxic after fish dinner. // Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal;Spring91, Issue 58, p5
Reports on the poisoning of a breast fed infant after his mother ate fish as published in the October 24, 1990 issue of the `Journal of the American Medical Association.' Ciguatera as the toxin in the fish; Symptoms of ciguatera poisoning.
- Levels of Organochlorine Pesticides Residues in Milk of Urban Mothers in Kenya. Kinyamu, J. K.; Kanja, L. W.; Skaare, J. U.; Maitho, T. E. // Bulletin of Environmental Contamination & Toxicology;May98, Vol. 60 Issue 5, p732
The article discusses the study that examines the degrees of organochlorine pesticides in an urban area in Kenya and compares with those from previous study. The author stated that this study will represent as a means of assessment of the environmental contamination in an urban area and measure...
- Organochlorine Pesticide Residues in Breast Milk in the Republic of Belarus. Barkatina, E. N.; Pertsovsky, A. L.; Murokh, V. I.; Kolomiets, N. D.; Shulyakovskaya, O. V.; Navarich, O. N.; Makarevich, V. I. // Bulletin of Environmental Contamination & Toxicology;Feb98, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p231
The article discusses the study of samples of breast milk from six regions of the Republic of Belarus for organochlorine pesticide (OChP) residues. Dichlorodiphenyldichloroethane (DDE), a dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) metabolite, was detected in all milk tests. DDT was detected in 1.2%...
- PBDEs. // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Jul2005, Issue 273, p28
The article focuses on the harmful effects of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) which are ubiquitous and toxic chemicals. They are a group of chemicals used to slow or resist fires in a staggeringly wide variety of consumer goods, including furniture and automotive upholstery, sound...