Library Staffing Benefits Latino Student Achievement
- school libraries' positive impact on student achievement. Tabor, Kim // Teacher Librarian;Oct2006, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p64
The article presents information on studies and reports about the positive role of school libraries and teacher-librarians in student achievement. The Ontario Library Association study shows that children enjoy reading more and perform better on standardized reading tests as compared to children...
- who we are: what we do. Haycock, Ken // Teacher Librarian;Jun2004, Vol. 31 Issue 5, p6
Discusses practices that make school libraries and teacher-librarians effective. Characteristics that make a difference to student achievement; Commitment to provide research-based documentation for students.
- Day School Libraries. Lubetski, Edith // Judaica Librarianship;Winter2002/Spring2003, Vol. 11 Issue 1/2, p76
Research has confirmed that strong school libraries are linked to academic achievement. Yet, school librarians often confront significant difficulties in obtaining support from administrators. Thoughtful and informative programs to educate administrators demonstrate the vital educational role of...
- the student perspective. Haycock, Ken // Teacher Librarian;Apr2004, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p40
Presents a study that examined the significance of effective school libraries in facilitating student learning. Factors fundamental to students constructing their own understanding of a topic; Characteristics of an effective school library; Responsibilities of a credentialed school librarian.
- College Success: High School Librarians Make the Difference. Smalley, Topsy N. // Journal of Academic Librarianship;May2004, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p193
Many students who enroll in a community college Information Research course come from three local school districts. Of those three districts, only one has librarians. Through examining grade rosters, this study demonstrates that student achievement is substantially higher for students who come...
- Want More Influence? Use Research. McCaffrey, Meg // School Library Journal;Jun2005, Vol. 51 Issue 6, p7
Discusses the importance of research to the role of librarians in educating students. Factors to be considered by librarians to have an impact on student achievement; Ways of promoting the importance of libraries and librarians; Methods of assessing the impact of school libraries of student...
- More Research, Please. Glick, Andrea // School Library Journal;Jun2005, Vol. 51 Issue 6, p11
Focuses on the importance of research to the role of school libraries in student learning. Ways of appealing to the broader education community through research; Dynamics of the collaboration between teachers and librarians; Suggestions on the assessment of the contributions of libraries to...
- What "They" Need and Want to Know. Ray, Mark // Teacher Librarian;Dec2012, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p53
The article provides insights from U.S. national, state and local decision makers regarding the development of effective advocacy. It is stated that teacher librarians should be able to collect, understand and strategically present compelling data connected to their instruction and program,...
- Libraries of the Twenty-first Century: Some Reflections. Johnstone, Leslie // School Libraries in Canada;2001, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p16
Provides reflections on school libraries of the 21st century. Computer simulation in the library; Role of teacher-librarians in assisting students to find and assess data; Use of technology in the library.