Laws Help Diversity Efforts
- Who's the victor? Albano, Leilani // Lesbian News;Jan97, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p55
Discusses how the differing views of various social groups, can defeat their purposes of blocking the passage of legislation that directly affects their organizations. Reasons for the passage of the California Civil Rights Initiative (CCRI); Information on Propostion 209 and 187; Quotes from...
- Are minorities getting too many breaks? Kreyche, Gerald F. // USA Today Magazine;Sep94, Vol. 123 Issue 2592, p98
Analyzes minorities' opportunities and entitlements in the United States. Job quotas; Increased preferential admission to colleges; Loan and mortgage breaks; Taxation on tribal business income; Bias charges; Reasons for giving minorities favorable treatment in the society.
- Missing minorities. Shapiro, J.P. // U.S. News & World Report;12/19/88, Vol. 105 Issue 24, p29
Report that the 1990 census will miss even more citizens as the poor become harder to reach. Difficulties; Less likely to respond to surveys in the mail or be tracked down by enumerators; Statistics.
- Good Governance for Worldwide Interdependence. Master, Warren // Public Manager;Summer2012, p19
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses various articles published within the issue including one on International Exchange Programs, one on revitalization of a post-conflict government in Liberia, and one on promotion of minority rights in Kosovo.
- A protective framework. Symonides, Janusz // UNESCO Courier;Jun93, Vol. 46 Issue 6, p44
Discusses the provision of international protection for minorities. Universal Declaration of Human Rights; International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights; UNESCO Declarations; Helsinki Final Act; Concluding Documents; Declaration of the Rights of Persons Belonging to National, Ethnic,...
- Disabled seek cut of contracts. Collier, Lorna // Crain's Chicago Business;11/11/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 45, pSB6
Focuses on a minority certification program for the blind in Chicago, Illinois that will be introduced again in 2002 after its inception as an amendment in 1992. Person who lobbied for the certification; Efforts to reverse the unemployment rate among people with disabilities; Resources for...
- National identity and minority rights in the constitutions of the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Rhodes, Matthew // East European Quarterly;Sep95, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p347
Examines the role of national identity on the inclusion of minority rights in the constitutions of the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Role of constitutions in emphasizing national identity; Two types of character of national identity that a constitution may emphasize; Problems facing the issue of...
- Pollution trading challenged. // State Legislatures;Jan98, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p10
Focuses on California's suspension of all emissions trading programs in the face of lawsuits alleging that such programs violate the civil rights of minorities living near refineries and other industrial sites.
- Texas Judicial Elections Upheld. DeBenedictis, Don J. // ABA Journal;Dec90, Vol. 76 Issue 12, p14
Reports that the Fifth United States Circuit Court has ruled that Section Two of the Voting Rights Act, which states that minorities must have an equal opportunity to elect representative of their choice, is not applicable to judicial elections. Conflicts of the court's decision with previous...