More Fallout From Spill
- Oil spill bites at shellfish. Kaffer, Nancy; Skid, Nathan // Crain's Detroit Business;5/31/2010, Vol. 26 Issue 22, p1
The article discusses the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and the side effects of this environmental disaster in Detroit, Michigan.
- Are oil spills an environmental hazard? // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jan1991, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p14
Argues that oil spills in the ocean are not a major environmental catastrophe. Life cycle of an oil spill; Environmental effects; Resilient oceans. The article is excerpted from `Oil in the Ocean: The Short- and Long-Term Impacts of a Spill,' by the Congressional Research Service of the...
- Discussion after the speeches of Richard L. Jarashow and A.H.E. Popp. // Canada-United States Law Journal;1992, Vol. 18, p327
Clarifies the issues concerning the determination of liability in the event of an occupance of an oil spill in Canada and the United States as discussed by Richard L. Jarashow and A.H.E. Popp. Possible American implementation of a Canadian-type scheme for oil pollution liability; Limitation on...
- Shetland oil spill did little harm. Mundell, Ian // New Scientist;6/26/93, Vol. 138 Issue 1879, p8
Examines the ecological effects of the January 1993 Braer tanker incident in the Shetland Islands in Scotland. Oilspill as not a disaster according to the Scottish Office; Recovery of 1500 dead sea birds as a low toll compared to other spills; Monitoring over a longer period as needed to assess...
- Hands against the darkness. Simonov, A.E. // Mother Earth News;Jul/Aug89, Issue 118, p8
Describes the experience of helping to clean up birds coated by an oil spill. Effect of oil on birds; Cleaning process.
- Experts tackle the challenge of cleaning up oil spills. Wachong, Elena A. // Caribbean Business;11/11/1993, Vol. 21 Issue 45, p38
Reports on a study on the disposal of recovered oil from spills. Joint effort of the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Office; Reasons for Puerto Rico's being at risk of oil spills; Problems created by an oil spill.
- Green gauge. Hutchings, Vicky // New Statesman & Society;1/22/93, Vol. 6 Issue 236, p30
Comments on the costs of clean-up procedures of birds and animals after major oil spills. Accidental oil spills; `Operational discharges'; `Torrey Canyon'; Royal Society for the Protection of Birds; Recent `Braer' oil spill in the Shetland Islands; Oil Pollution Research Unit; K.A. Gourlay's...
- Arctic spill: A warning. Abend, Paula // Animals;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 128 Issue 1, p39
Focuses on the impacts of an oil spill in Russia's Komi region of western Siberia on world ecology. Reluctance to acknowledge the extent of the oil spill; Protection of the investments of multinational corporation.
- Giveaway. Bernstein, Amy // U.S. News & World Report;11/9/92, Vol. 113 Issue 18, p18
Reports that now that the litigation over the environmental disaster caused by the Exxon Valdez oil spill has ended, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service begins disposing of its gruesome stockpile of dead wildlife. A market for the carcasses of 35,000 birds and 1,000 otters; Where the...