Nature and Nurture in Childhood Obesity
- Our problems -- and our kids -- keep getting heavier. DiMarco, Nancy // Fort Worth Business Press;11/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 46, p26
Focuses on the prevalence of obesity in children and adolescents in Texas. Risks of being overweight; Reasons for obesity in children; Influence of parents on their children's health; Role of school in helping children maintain healthy lifestyles.
- LETTERS: The chubby factor as a measure of obesity. // GP: General Practitioner;11/17/2003, p43
The author who is a general practitioner has taken a three-month sabbatical from his practice, to look at child and adolescent obesity. The author is currently investigating the validity of a simple, or higher power ratio of face measurements cheek-to-cheek and chin-to-crown as a correlate of...
- Surgeon General Releases Goals and USPSTF Updates Recommendations on Obesity. // American Family Physician;3/1/2010, Vol. 81 Issue 5, p581
The article reports on the move of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) to update its screening recommendations for childhood and teenage obesity and the release of the Surgeon General's Vision for a Healthy and Fit Nation 2010 report highlighting the prevalence of obesity in the U.S.
- What makes an overweight child become active. // Infomat: A Weekly Review;11/14/2003, p2
Reports on findings of a study based on results from the National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth in Canada. Increase in the prevalence of obesity among Canadian children; Factors contributing to the increase in obesity among children; Proportion of overweight or obese children who...
- Child and adolescent obesity in the 21st century: an Australian perspective. Baur, Louise A // Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Dec2002 Supplement, Vol. 11, pS524
The early 21st century has seen the development of a global epidemic of obesity in both developed and developing countries. In Australia at least one in five children and adolescents are overweight or obese, with rapid rises in prevalence apparently continuing. Similar trends are seen in other...
- Efforts to tackle childhood obesity nationwide are making a difference. Currie, Donya // Nation's Health;Mar2011, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p7
The article looks at the January 21, 2011 "Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report," wherein the growth of obesity all over the U.S. has mitigated since 2000 due to the efforts of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on its Public Health Grand Rounds on Childhood Obesity.
- Attention Couch Potatoes! // Scholastic News -- Senior Edition;02/21/2000, Vol. 68 Issue 18, p3
Provides information on Healthy People 2010, a plan which aims to reduce the number of obese kids, introduced by United States Surgeon General David Satcher.
- Flatness of Fatness. Sullum, Jacob // Reason;Jun2010, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p11
The article provides information on the report from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey which shows that obesity rates among children and adults in the U.S. have leveled off.
- Number of overweight children and adolescents is rising. // Executive Health's Good Health Report;Dec95, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p6
Reports that the number of overweight children and adolescents in the United States is rising at an alarming rate. Decline in physical activity as main cause; Dietary trends; Need for prevention.
- US childhood obesity has peaked. // New Scientist;5/31/2008, Vol. 198 Issue 2658, p7
An excerpt from the research on obesity in children and adolescents in the U.S. that was published in vol. 299 of the "Journal of the American Medical Association" is presented.