On the Business of Life
- LOS COSTOS DE UNA HUACHAFERÃA LIMEÃ‘A: BOUCHER, TIZIANO Y BACON EN MANOS DE VARGAS LLOSA. Spielmann, Ellen // Revista de Critica Literaria Latinoamericana;2002, Vol. 28 Issue 56, p53
A literary criticism of the book "Elogio de la madrastra" by Peruvian-Spanish writer Mario Vargas Llosa is presented. It explores the descriptions of artworks of FranÃ§ois Boucher, Tiziano, and Francis Bacon as a literary device, as well as Vargas Llosa's use of kitsch. An overview of the...
- THOUGHTS ON THE BUSINESS OF LIFE. // Forbes Asia;7/3/2006, Vol. 2 Issue 12, p72
The article presents several quotes from prominent people about revenge. Malcolm S. Forbes said that getting even will make people feel less than they are. Charles Caleb Colton believes that refusing to pay a debt of revenge make human superior. Francis Bacon emphasized the need to have more...
- Mario Vargas Llosa. Rosenberg, T. // People;4/9/90, Vol. 33 Issue 14, p71
Profiles former communist Mario Vargas Llosa, 54, an author and now a conservative, who is running for President of Peru. Background; Writing career; Campaign; Problems in Peru; Personal life.
- Contemplating Your Own Novel: The Case of Mario Vargas Llosa. Standish, Peter // Hispanic Review;Winter1993, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p53
Discusses the works of Mario Vargas Llosa within the context of metafictional writing. Self-reflexivity in art; Differing degrees of self-contemplation; Diegetic and linguistic types of metafiction; "La tia Julia y el escribidor"; Common techniques of the first person narrative; Parody; Theatre;...
- The temptation of Mario. Farnsworth, E. // Mother Jones;Jan89, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p22
Profile of Peruvian novelist Mario Vargas Llosa who has for several years been a leading contender for the Nobel prize in literature. His decision to be a conservative candidate for president in Peru; Political background and position to date; Risk of assassination; Strategies; Goals; Opposition.
- What makes Mario run? Contreras, J.; Smith, M. // Newsweek;4/9/1990, Vol. 115 Issue 15, p33
Profiles the campaign for President of Peru by author Mario Vargas Llosa. The writer who would be president may not be a political natural, but this year Vargas Llosa is expected to join Czechoslovakia's Vaclav Havel as the latest man of letters to become chief of state. The task of running a...
- Mario Vargas Llosa: In and out of the fishbowl. Mujica, Barbara // Americas;Mar/Apr95, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p61
Profiles Latin American writer Mario Vargas Llosa. Personal background; Education; Career record; Notable works; Views on writing as a Latin American.
- A Mario Vargas Llosa checklist. Zisman, Alex // Review of Contemporary Fiction;Spring97, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p76
Presents a list of books written by Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa. Includes `Los Jefes'; `Conversacion en La Catedral' `La guerra del fin del mundo'; `Lituma en los Andes'; `La orgia perpetua: Flaubert y `Madame Bovary'; `El pez en el agua'; `Contra viento y marea.'
- Vargas Llosa rewrites Peru. Martin, G. // Esquire;Apr90, Vol. 113 Issue 4, p103
Reports on novelist Mario Vargas Llosa and his presidential campaign in Peru. Description of Lima and Peru; Money in Peru; Description of Llosa; The cornucopia of problems in Peru; His plans for the country; His background; Life in Peru.