SLOVAKIA: RISK SUMMARY
- The Economics of Minority Language Identity. Li, Peter S. // Canadian Ethnic Studies;2001, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p134
The debate about whether ethnic identity helps or hinders social mobility is inconclusive because of differences in conceptualizing and measuring "ethnic identity." This paper examines how minority language, as one dimension of ethnic minority identity, changes, and what market returns it...
- Linguistic minorities in upper secondary education in Norway. Overgaard, Tomas // European Education;Summer95, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p111
Presents results of a study on the educational achievements of pupils belonging to linguistic minorities in Norway. Unequal opportunities in terms of upper secondary education; Indication that almost no pupils of African or South American origin have been able to complete vocational training;...
- On the Hill. Terrana, Anna // Chinatown News;3/18/95, Vol. 42 Issue 13, p14
Reports on the reinstatement of the Court Challenges Program designed to help Canadians establish their Charter rights. Establishment of the Court Challenges Program in 1978 to help linguistic minorities defend their rights; Creation of legal precedents through the funding in the program;...
- Web technology helps preserve, promote Indigenous languages. Petten, Cheryl // Saskatchewan Sage;Mar2002, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p4
Focuses on the launching of the First Voices Aboriginal Languages Resource to preserve and promote Indigenous languages in Victoria, British Columbia. Description of First Voices; Use of Web browser to enable Aboriginal language speakers to archive the text and sound and pictures and video;...
- Local languages blossom in Europe. // UNESCO Courier;Dec98, Vol. 51 Issue 12, p41
Focuses on the ratification of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages by Germany in September 1998. Adoption of the charter by the Council of Europe in 1992; Minority languages in France; Historical basis of the centralization of the language of France.
- PRÃ‰SENTATION DU NUMÃ‰RO. Cardinal, Linda // Politique et SociÃ©tÃ©s;2010, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p3
An introduction to the issue is presented in which the editor reflects on the question of the acknowledgment of linguistic and national minorities, discusses the principles of territoriality and personality, and examines the role of globalization in the future of linguistic and national minorities.
- Political and Economic Obstacles of Minority Language Maintenance. Saarikivi, Janne; Marten, Heiko F. // Journal on Ethnopolitics & Minority Issues in Europe;2012, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p1
An introduction is presented which the editor discusses various articles within the issue on topics including minority language-speakers, political decentralization, and minority language.
- Freedom of Expression of Minorities in the Digital Age: Staking Out a New Research Agenda. McGonagle, Tarlach // Journal on Ethnopolitics & Minority Issues in Europe;2013, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including minority languages, exploratory research project of the European Centre for Minority Issues (ECMI), and the role of media in thr promotion of intercultural dialogue.
- New Speakers of Minority Languages: Belonging and Legitimacy. Serralvo, Maite Puigdevall // DIGITHUM;mai2014, Issue 16, p44
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports in the issue on topics including the analysis of Irish speakers, the identification of profiles of Galician speakers, and the strategy undertaken by Basque speakers.