Phonological skills of children with specific expressive
- Foreign language instruction. // USA Today Magazine;Dec96, Vol. 125 Issue 2619, p2
Discusses foreign language instruction in American schools. The views of Karin Larson, coordinator of the University of Minnesota's Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition; Larson's assertion that children who take a foreign language in elementary school often forget everything...
- Real age-of-acquisition effects in lexical retrieval. Ellis, Andrew W.; Morrison, Catriona M. // Journal of Experimental Psychology. Learning, Memory & Cognition;Mar1998, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p515
Examines the age of acquisition of lexical retrieval processing, using real age-of-acquisition norms. Reference to the theories of J.B. Carroll and M.N. White; Comparison of word frequency and age of acquisition, in relation to object-naming speed; Background information on the participants of...
- Language barrier. Freeman, Peter // Bulletin with Newsweek;10/16/2001, Vol. 119 Issue 6297, p51
Focuses on the influence of aging on language learning. Decline of learning comprehension through aging; Beneficial attributes of children in learning foreign languages; Impact of immediate stimulation of neural hormones on the speech recovery of stroke victims.
- Age of Acquisition Effects in Adult Lexical Processing Reflect Loss of Plasticity in Maturing... Ellis, Andrew W.; Ralph, Matthew A. Lambon // Journal of Experimental Psychology. Learning, Memory & Cognition;Sep2000, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p1103
Discusses the age of acquisition effects when patterns are introduced at varying points into training. Recognition of early and later learned words; Reduction in network plasticity; Failure to differentiate late items as effectively as early ones; Relationship between age of acquisition and...
- EFFECTS OF AGE AT IMPLANTATION IN YOUNG CHILDREN. Kirk, Karen Iler; Ying, Elizabeth; Miyamoto, Richard T.; O'Neill, Tara; Lento, Cara L.; Fears, Beverly // Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology;May2002 Part 2 of 2, Vol. 111, p69
Examines the effects of age at implantation on the communication abilities in children with early implantation. Analysis of rate of growth in word recognition and language skills; Improvement in skills communication; Gains in communication abilities.
- Relationships between acoustically determined knowledge of stop place and voicing contrasts... Tyler, Ann A.; Figurski, G. Randall // Journal of Speech & Hearing Research;Aug93, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p746
Analyzes the speech of children with phonological disorders for imperceptible acoustic distinctions for seemingly homophonous word pairs. Phonemic perception tasks procedure; Speech stimuli for acoustic analysis; Subjects with initial voicing; Subjects with velar fronting; Range of treatment...
- Developmental phonological disorders I: A clinical profile. Shriberg, Lawrece D.; Kwiatkowski, Joan // Journal of Speech & Hearing Research;Oct94, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p1100
Discusses a study on a clinical profile of developmental phonological disorders. Speech, prosody-voice and causal correlates; Clinical profile of children with phonological disorders.
- Developmental phonological disorders II: Short-term speech-sound normalization. Shriberg, Lawrence D.; Kwiatkowski, Joan; al, et // Journal of Speech & Hearing Research;Oct94, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p1127
Discusses developmental phonological disorders on short-term speech-sound normalization. Discussion of a framework for research in speech-sound normalization in young children; Prediction research and practice in developmental phonological disorders; Group-level descriptive analyses of...
- Developmental phonological disorders III: Long-term speech-sound normalization. Shriberg, Lawrence D.; Gruber, Frederic A. // Journal of Speech & Hearing Research;Oct94, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p1151
Discusses developmental phonological disorders on long-term speech-sound normalization in children. Sequence of rate and error patterns in speech sound normalization; Ages and rates of long-term speech-sound normalization.