Energy Merger Begets HY, Loan Deals
- Power Providers Turn to High-Yield Mart. Sheahan, Matthew // Investment Dealers' Digest;7/23/2010, Vol. 76 Issue 27, p6
The article reports on the merger between U.S.-based electric power companies Mirant Corp. and RRI Energy Inc. which is expected to result in two billion dollars issuance in the high-yield debt markets. However, it indicates that investors are concerned about increasing commodity prices and...
- FERC Approves Mirant-RRI Merger. // Energy Daily;8/4/2010, Issue 147, p5
The article reports on the approval of the merger between RRI Energy Inc. and Mirant Corp. by the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) on August 2, 2010.
- Mirant-RRI Merger Creates Big New Generator. // Energy Daily;12/23/2010, Issue 243, p4
The article examines the completion of the merger between Mirant Corp. and RRI Energy to form GenOn Energy Inc.
- Debt Offer Puts Focus on Power Sector. Sheahan, Matthew // High Yield Report;7/19/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 29, p22
The article reports on the merger of power companies Mirant and RRI Energy which is predicted to bring nearly 2 billion dollars to the high yield debt markets. The companies agreed to merge in April 2010 in an all-stock transaction. According to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, it is...
- RRI, Mirant Merge To Survive Miserable Market Conditions. Beattie, Jeff // Energy Daily;4/13/2010, Issue 68, p1
The article reports on an all-stock merger announced by Mirant Corp. and RRI Energy that creates an independent power producer (IPP) to be called GenOn Energy, in an effort to survive in the poor market conditions that afflict merchant generators. It notes that the new IPP will control 24,700...
- GenOn Closing Key Coal Plant For U.S. Capital City. LOBSENZ, GEORGE // Energy Daily;8/31/2011, Issue 167, p2
The article reports on the plan of GenOn to shut down its coal-fired Potomac River power plant in Alexandria, Virginia. The federal officials ordered the heavily polluting plant to remain operational to ensure adequate power supplies for Washington, D.C. GenOn, a company formed by the merger of...
- Debt Offer Puts Focus on Power Sector. // Bank Loan Report;7/19/2010, Vol. 25 Issue 29, p1
The article reports on the merger between power companies Mirant Corp. and RRI Energy Inc. which will bring nearly $2 billion to the high yield debt markets. It notes that the independent power provider (IPP) space is facing serious difficulties with commodity prices squeezing profit margins and...
- Feds Intensifying Their Review Of Mirant-RRI Merger. Beattie, Jeff // Energy Daily;7/22/2010, Issue 138, p2
The article reports on the move by the U.S. Justice Department (DOJ) to intensify its review of the proposed merger of Mirant Corp. and RRI Energy under the Hart-Scott-Rodino anti-trust law due to its possible adverse impact to competition. The merged company will be named GenOn Energy. It notes...
- Market Awaits Debt-laden Mirant's Plan. Cohen, Judy Radler // Mergers & Acquisitions Report;3/10/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p1
Reports that bondholders await the restructuring proposal of Mirant Corp. Amount of debt load of Mirant; Contenders for the business of Mirant; Way for Mirant to refinance its term loan.