Chicago Schools Avert Cuts
- 4,100 Detroit teachers get layoff notices, will have to reapply for jobs. // American School & University Exclusive Insight;4/13/2012, p4
The article cites a report from "The Detroit News" saying that at least 4,100 public school teachers in Detroit, Michigan have received layoff notices.
- W.Va. teacher wins `mark of the beast' case. // Church & State;Feb2000, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p22
Reports on a court ruling stating that Philip Hudok, a public school teacher in West Virginia, cannot be fired for refusing on religious grounds to enforce his school's bar-coded identification program. Hudok's religious reasons for refusing to enforce the program; Events leading to Hudok's...
- More Disruption in DCPS. // Washington Informer;5/10/2012, Vol. 47 Issue 30, p23
The article offers information regarding the termination of more than 300 teachers from the District of Columbia Public Schools, Washington, D.C. before the end of the school year and during the Teacher Appreciation Week from May 7-11, 2012.
- Teacher Layoff Warning. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/25/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32305, p27
This article reports that according to Arne Duncan, chief executive officer of Chicago Public Schools, Illinois, the school district faces a $328 million deficit in its budget for 2007. And this deficit could lead to teacher layoffs without more help from the state. The deficit is higher in...
- Calif. tenure protections. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;6/11/2014, pA02
Calif. tenure protections for public school teachers are unconstitutional and make it virtually impossible to fire bad teachers, an L.A. County judge ruled. Teachers' lawyers say the ruling would let educators be fired on a whim.
- Boston Seeks To Improve Teaching With Higher Standards, Cash Awards. Foster, Susan G. // Education Week;9/22/1982, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p6
The article reports on the efforts of Robert R. Spillane, schools superintendent in Boston, Massachusetts, to improve the performances and standards of teaching in Boston public schools. It states the included developments in the new system such as the dismissal of incompetent teachers and...
- By the Numbers. Dianis, Laura // District Administration;Dec2006, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p88
Several charts are presented that offer district administrators' view of public education, including teachers' satisfaction with the overall quality of the teaching staff, dismissal of teachers, and elimination of teacher tenure.
- "Remediation" Works. // Education Digest;Nov1979, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p68
The article reports that the Salt Lake City public schools' program to give teachers and administrators with disappointing service records five months of "remediation" opportunity and then fire them if they haven't improved has been a success. The district and the local teachers' association...
- Can She Save America's Schools? Ripley, Amanda // Time International (South Pacific Edition);12/8/2008, Issue 48, p22
The article profiles Michelle Rhee, the chancellor of the District of Columbia Public Schools system. A number of issues are addressed in the article including Rhee's unpopularity with teachers, her devotion to school reform, her dismissal of educators she considers inadequate and the measures...