Many States Need to Revisit Budgets Due to Loss of Medicaid Funding
- Conn. Gov. Dan Malloy. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;2/19/2015, pA02
The article reports on the proposal of Connecticut Democrat Governor Dan Malloy to close a budget gap which is in part has the aim to increase the earnings of parents under Medicaid program and sending them off to get coverage under the Obamacare exchange law.
- NEBRASKA. UJIFUSA, ANDREW // Education Week;1/27/2016, Vol. 35 Issue 19, p18
The article focuses on the annual address by Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts on January 14, 2016 which features the opposition on the increased state budget taken by Medicaid insurance progam and the criticism on the limited federal budget for special education expansion.
- Enhanced Medicaid funding saves state budget. Veronikis, Eric // Central Penn Business Journal;9/3/2010, Vol. 26 Issue 37, p19
The article focuses on the advantage of Federal Medical Assistance Percentage (FMAP) extension bill to Pennsylvania, which provides additional Medicaid funding in the two quarters of fiscal year 2010-2011. According to Gary Tuma, press secretary for Governor Ed Rendell, the enhanced Medicaid...
- CRITICAL CONDITION. Prentice, George // Boise Weekly;12/15/2010, Vol. 19 Issue 25, p11
An interview with Dick Armstrong of the Idaho's Department of Health and Welfare is presented. Armstrong talks about his proposed 2.1 billion budget, limited office hours, and furloughs. He mentions the impact of state budget cuts on federal matching funds for Medicaid. He also cites the Keeping...
- State tries to plan for federal cash crunch. LANE, AMY // Crain's Detroit Business;8/1/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 31, p0002
The article reports that Michigan is planning on how to cut its spending if the U.S. Congress failed to increase the nation's debt limit. It states that Michigan draws 400 million dollars in cash from the federal government for Medicaid, education and transportation. It also mentions that a...
- Education Passes Medicaid in State Spending, NCSL Finds. McNeil, Michele // Education Week;8/30/2006, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p30
According to a report by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), Medicaid, which has been the fastest-growing line item in state budgets, has been supplanted by K-12 education. NCSL found that public school funding is budgeted to increase 7.9 percent for fiscal 2007, which began...
- Edwards Vows to Fix Louisiana's Budget, Expand Medicaid. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;1/12/2016, Vol. 1 Issue 34442, p1
Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards just after taking the oath of office Monday pledged to repair the state's budget and expand the state's health insurance program.
- North Carolina Medicaid Update. // ASHA Leader;11/3/2009, Vol. 14 Issue 14, p8
The article reports on the 9% reduction rate set by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) on Medicaid funding in North Carolina instead of the 3% proposed reduction of the legislature. It notes that in an act to balance the state's budget and reduce spending, the North Carolina...
- An Agenda for the One Percent. Ela, Nate; Navot, Edo; Ubert, Emanuel // Social Policy;Spring2012, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p12
The article examines the impact of the two-year budget approach of Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker to address the state's budget deficit. Topics include reducing the taxes of wealthy individuals and businesses, increasing the taxes of working families and cutting the social-insurance programs...